Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Default AJ hits 2nd pair, should I have bet the river?

Very loose-passive table.

UTG: 60/0 in 30 hands, passive and stupid
UTG+1: 44.83/0 in 29 hands, passive calling station
No reads on MP2 poster
CO: 66.67/0 in 22 hands no postflop reads
SB: 43.33/10 in 30 hands somewhat aggressive
BB: 36/4 in 25 hands bluffed a couple times

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

River check right here or should I have bet for value?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: AJ hits 2nd pair, should I have bet the river?

hmmm...this is a tough call. Against 2 opponents a check is maybe not as bad as against 1. HU...easy bet. 2 opponents, I'm not really sure either. Tough spot. I'm curious to ree other responses.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Yea same here, the 3 flush with one overcard to your pair looks kinda scary one opponent its an easy bet, 2 opponents i dunno....
Old 04-01-2005, 04:31 PM

I say check. I'm not fearful of the flush, but I am of someone having a K if they've called your aggression on the previous two streets. I don't think you're ahead here enough to make it a "value" bet.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Raise PF.
Bet the river.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:28 PM

Yea definatly raise preflop, if you thined out the feild from the PF raise the K isn't looking so scary now, so i then value bet the river.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:39 PM

I actually would bet this river I think. I am not worried about UTG having a K, as no one raised PF, so he would have likely opened when a K hit the flop. I doubt MP2 has a K either as there is a possible flush draw. You did not show strength preflop, so unless his kicker is extremely weak, I see no reason that he should believe his K is outkicked (how loose is he, what kinds of K's would he be calling with PF?). He would probably raise to try and thin out the field to protect his vulnerable K. The only thing that has me worried is UTG making a flush on the river. However, this does not happen often enough that you shouldn't bet for value.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:50 PM

You gotta raise this pre-flop, dude. You have a strong hand, a chance to isolate the two donks that limped, a heap of dead money in the poster and blinds, and a chance to buy the button. Letting the poster and the blinds see this for free (or for the SB complete) is asking for trouble and not extracting $$ when you likely have the best of it.

I would bet the river, but I don't think the check is horrible. The problem with betting the river is that MP2 is unknown, and I would not be sure how to respond to a raise from him. UTG sounds like he will call a bet with a worse J, a 7, maybe even a 3. I'd hate to fold to MP2's raise and would probably have to call getting 14:1 but would be pretty sure I'm beat.

For those who advocate betting the river - what do you do if MP2 raises and UTG folds? If MP2 raises and UTG calls?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Fold to any river raise. What would they raise with that you are beating. The only answer would be an outright bluff. However, since you haven't run into any real resistance yet, I don't see why you should stop betting. The check definetly isn't terrible though.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise PF.
Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]