Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:34 PM

Default how to be a fish ... what was I thinking

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) converter

BB ($6.10)
UTG ($25)
Hero ($49.50)
MP2 ($24.65)
CO ($50)
Button ($41.15)
SB ($6.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $1</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($3.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $23.4</font>, Hero calls $19.15.

River: ($50.15) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $50.15
Old 04-01-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: how to be a fish ... what was I thinking

I'm sure anything I say in this thread, you already know... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flop preflop, holy cow please fold this preflop!
(I know it's big-lick suited, but sheesh, admire for 1 second before turbo mucking!)

You got about the best flop you could hope for (realistically). Either bet the pot or if you have some reason to believe someone behind you will bet, then for cry out loud check raise big and try to take it down right there.

After he comes over the top of your turn checkraise, toss this garbage away. Your 2pair doesn't fair well against his set or now higher two pair (lots of ppl limp 89s...)

But you already knew this stuff...

KoW
Old 04-01-2005, 03:51 PM

love the avatar.

i don't mind playing these for .25 but I honestly don't know why:
1. I didn't CR flop
2. Call the allin - had to be set or str8

Secondarily:
lets pretend the Ace came on the turn and betting happened the same. Would you feel a *little* better about an allin call
Old 04-01-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't mind playing these for .25

[/ QUOTE ]

nice, fishy sentiment...
Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 04:36 PM

Ouch!

[ QUOTE ]
i don't mind playing these for .25

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of thinking is going to get you into oodles of trouble. HUGE leak there.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:48 PM

What he said. I fall victim to this leak all the time, especially when I'm running cold and just want to play a hand. Suited 2-gapper from MP1? SURE, it's only a quarter! I do it all the time and I know I won't be a consistent winner until I stop.

Unless specific table factors argue otherwise (waay deep stacks, waay passive opponents), this is a fold preflop, even for only $0.25. Think realistically about what the -EV of calling this hand might be -- -50%? -35%? -- and then convert that to BB/100 lost. Ouch.

The stakes don't matter. Only playing the hand properly matters. The proper play is a fold preflop. Wait for a quality hand.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:01 PM

I have the reverse ... I tend to play these hands when cards are coming my way. Live and learn
Old 04-01-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't mind playing these for .25 but I honestly don't know why:
1. I didn't CR flop
2. Call the allin - had to be set or str8

Secondarily:
lets pretend the Ace came on the turn and betting happened the same. Would you feel a *little* better about an allin call

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe ever-so-slightly better...? But quite honestly I don't like getting all my $ in the middle unless I have a specific read that this opponent would put his $ in the middle with much worse. Think of how many of these clowns think A6o/A2o/A9o is worth a .25 to see a flop.

When someone pushes all in after you check-call, check-raise, that shows an a LOT of strength... My raggedy 2pair just shrunk way up.

And like the others have mentioned, you must get away from the mentality of "it's only a quarter." The only way I'm playing 69s (excluding blinds) is if I'm in the CO or Button and there are 4+ more limpers to me and I limp OR if there's one limper to me and I come in for a raise.

KoW
Old 04-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Flop pre-flop, c/r the flop to try and win it there.

Once he pushes, I think you have to fold, your 2 pair is no good anymore. The mentalitiy of "it's only .25" will cost you money in the future as well.