Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Holding trips, big turn bet--call or fold?

UB $10, about 100 left, 30 get paid, don't have the exact hand history, but I think this is close.

I'm in the big blind with about 1700 left after posting which is only half the average stack. Blinds 50/100.
Villian#1 limps in MP with about t1200 and Villian#2 limps on button with plenty to cover us both. Small blind completes, I check with QcJc.

Flop----> Jh 4s Jd
SB check, I check, V#1 check, V#2 bets 100
SB folds, I call, V#1 calls.

Turn----> 7s
I check, V#1 check, V#2 bets 325
I call, V#1 min-raises to 650, V#2 re-raises putting both of us all in.

The reason I hadn't been betting or raising thus far was because the board was pretty draw-free and I felt like I needed to get all I could out of this hand to get my chipstack back in par. On the other hand, I never felt too comfortable with it either, seeing two people staying for the turn and then especially after this action on the turn.

Villian#1 is sure to call because he hardly has anything left now, so if I include that, i'm getting around 3400 to 1300 to call. However I know there's only one other J out there which may have a better kicker and without there being much else on the board, i think 44 or even 77 are very possible.

So call, hoping that one has say, a flush draw or pocket pair he can't let go of and the other has JT with this big pot or can I fold this without feeling too bad?

Can't wait to share the results!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Holding trips, big turn bet--call or fold?

once you've come this far, i think you've got to call. AJ would likely get raised, so you're really only afraid of 44 and KJ.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 PM

I'd call. I'd be less worried about 77 from V1. Why would he have check-called that flop w/ 77? Is he check-calling looking for the miracle turn 7? But I guess it is possible. If anyone had 77 it's V2. Seems reasonable to bet that on the flop but he bet so small into 3 people that it's strange. 44 seems more likely for V1 but his turn raise is odd. It is suspicious that he's only minimum raising (not pushing) here when it's leaving him only T350 or so (milking?). And I'd guess he has a strong hand since he's got to figure you're coming along (or pushing) since you already called the 325. But with the limpfest PF you can't discount JT, J9, etc. Often in these tourneys if it's folded to MP they often raise w/ AJ. Same with button. The only other J hand you need to be worried about is KJ. I'm discounting J7 and J4 for obvious reasons.
And someone may be playing an overpair but I would think not because of the action PF and on the flop.
The problem is that there's 6 combinations of pocket pairs that can beat you and 8 combinations of hands containing a J that beat you (excluding J7 and J4) and not as many (to me) reasonable hands that would do this that you beat (4 JT's, 4 J9's, etc.). All of which many players in these tourneys consider limpworthy here from middle position on.
That said, I can't imagine what they're betting with but you're shortstacked with a hand that may be the best now, and if it's not at least you have some outs (3 Qs facing almost anything, three 7's facing 44, and the case J if neither already have it.) Ten outs facing the more likely hand (44) and 4 facing the less probably hand (77).
If you fold then you're even more shortstacked, if you win it you're average or above. You have to call here. If they beat you so be it. You need this pot.
Sorry for the rambling, disjointed post. I'm pretty new.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:52 PM

Well, I agree with both of you and I called. But I did take my time and really felt that I was beat, however it wasn't the time to be letting that go.

Villian#1 shows 44
Villian#2 shows 77

River----> Js

Always helps to have an out waitin for ya.