Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Default 44 hand....I am lost

Raiser is 26/10 through 70. Other donk is 16/3. Flame away.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 04-01-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 44 hand....I am lost

Having raised the flop I'd bet the turn. If the SB calls the bet then I'd check the river.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:18 PM

On the flop you have 2 outs for a set and 1 out for runner-runner straight (14-1 to win), so I think with the implied odds you can call. If you do hit the set on the turn, you have a nice raise set up with UTG+2 trapped.

A raise on the flop isn’t going to improve your chances of winning because neither UTG+2 nor SB are folding after putting in one bet on the flop. Plus, you’ll get 3-bet if you are in fact way behind.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having raised the flop I'd bet the turn. If the SB calls the bet then I'd check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the A froze me. Looking at it now, the turn is an easy bet/fold to a c/r situation. I suck.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the A froze me. Looking at it now, the turn is an easy bet/fold to a c/r situation. I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any line that has you folding 4-6 outs getting better than 10-1 cant be right.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:31 PM

I think I like the flop raise, but I would probably bet the turn here. You might take it down right there and you've picked up an additional four outs on the river. If you get called you try for a free showdown.

With your line, you might be able to find a value bet on the river.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:34 PM

I need to be convinced why a flop raise is correct.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any line that has you folding 4-6 outs getting better than 10-1 cant be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:41 PM

I dig it all the way.

Generally, I would call this flop and look at the turn cheaply, but Im ok with the raise as well.

I really like the turn check. And it seems like Im the only one.

That ace completes a large percentage of SBs hands (given a preflop raise and a non 3-bet).

Basically, for betting the turn to be correct, you have to have SB raised with exactly KQ/KJ (both of which now have 10 outs against you, and probably will call your bet), and have the other player have no pair.

Thats a pretty small parlay.

They are giving you a free card with 6 outs in a 8BB pot, thats 1.04 BBs they are GIVING you. take it.

I dont bet the river.

(I think I like a bet on the turn if you dont have the gutshot, because you can fold to the check raise. With the gutshot, I like the check)
Old 04-01-2005, 02:43 PM

I don't understand your play. On the flop, raising makes sense only if you believe that you've got the best hand. When the A comes off on the turn and it's checked to you, what are you thinking? If someone hit their A, then you get a free card shot at your 5 or 6 outs. But if not, then YOU are giving the free card to people that have at least six if not ten or more outs. Plus, you are giving up a good chance to chase hands like 66-99 out of there. So I bet the turn, hoping to win it right there, and planning to call if c/r'd. If called I'd check the river through, and think about it if bet into.

On the river as you played it it is a close decision for me. I don't believe that worse hands will call, but it is possible that a better hand will fold. I think overall that betting is better because:

Say ~60% of the time you have the best hand based on the action. Net 0

Of the 40% of the time you have the second best hand, I'd suspect that 55-99 is the best hand about a quarter of the time. Of those times, you will be ahead if you get them to fold half the time.