Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 09:47 PM

Default out of the kiddy pool or a dumb move?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

MP1 ($512.25)
Hero ($623.26)
MP3 ($417.37)
CO ($371.35)
Button ($394)
SB ($245.4)
BB ($412)
UTG ($440.3)
UTG+1 ($120.1)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $18, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $14.

Flop: ($60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, Button calls $45, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($150) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($150) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, Button calls $75.

Final Pot: $300
Old 03-31-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: out of the kiddy pool or a dumb move?

Pretty standard, but I generally wouldn't raise that hand in that early of a position.

I wonder what he had. An ace? Perhaps a pot size bet is warranted on the river.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 PM

Not dumb. This is text book doyle brunson out-of-the-kiddie pool type aggression with small suited cards. Usually want to be in LP but I make moves like this from MP when the time is right (chip position, table dynamics, etc).

I think potting the turn is probably best but 1/2 the pot works. He probably had an Ace. Just hopefully not AdXd.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:55 PM

can someone please explain why you have raised to 4.5xBB with 1 limper in MP with 9 7s?

I have totally missed this whole hand. the flop aggression is a total bluff here... you've been called.

Why not fire a second barrel on the turn? because now you have outs?!?!

this makes no sense to me.

the river bet seems far too large.

I can't rap my head around this but others are calling it standard.. please explain.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:53 AM

This looks right to me. Hope you won.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 AM

Preflop raise was kinda retarded after a limper. If you opened or were in LP, that's one thing but in MP after limpers, I don't like it, especially a EP limper.

Post flop looks nice though.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 AM

The flop is pretty standard. You raised pf and now you bet out representing a pair. Ordinary flop steal.

Turn is ok I think. You could bet but your opponent will call so why bet. Just hope he gives you good odds if he bets.

River: I think you made a good bet. There was no diamond draw on the flop. The straight on the board will make it very tempting for him to call. I put this player on a pocket pair. Perhaps he improved to trips and tried to extract the maximum out of you. After all, you represented a big pair with your pf and flop play.

Pre-flop: I don't like your raise at all. I think calling a raise from a big stack is good play if you're in position. In this situation, even if you catch a lucky flop, you might not make any money. You want your opponent to have a big pair or improve an AK when the flop really hits you. So here, if you want to play 79, why not see the flop cheaply. It won't make your opponents hands any worse so your implied profit is the same.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:55 AM

i would need at least a slight read on the 3 players to my left. they need to be at least semi tight (&lt;30vpip). if i get called i want position on everybody.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:57 AM

this post would have been better if you ended it with your bet. knowing he called and didnt raise everyone knows that you very likely won and they are all gonna say "oh great hand blah blah blah".
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise was kinda retarded after a limper. If you opened or were in LP, that's one thing but in MP after limpers, I don't like it, especially a EP limper.

Post flop looks nice though.

[/ QUOTE ]

the three players to my left were very tight (&lt; 20%), and the one limper was a loose-passive who played any ace and any two suited.