Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Sklansky, Philips, real masters?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, new to poker as well (fish). I have on the other hand made great success in some other walks of life.

Being new to this forum, something surprises me. Sklansky and Philips and in my opinion some other top players (not so conclusive evidence so I won't name them in case I am wrong) very often answer arrogantly when opposed.

I will never become as good as these players, but I know that the day your mentality has become such, you are just a sitting duck waiting to be outclassed by more open-minded challengers.

The real master is the one who realizes that he just borrowes that title and does not own it.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Sklansky, Philips, real masters?

Do you believe that your post might change their ways?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:36 PM

No.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 PM

Arguing a position because you believe it is the correct one (or you can even show it is the correct one) isn't arrogant. Which is what these two do most of the time. PP often uses sarcasm which rubs some people the wrong way, which I am sure he would plead guilty to. DS has a thing for IQ, which makes him stubbornly refuse to accept that there is any other factor to a persons ability. That often comes off as arrogant.

I don't think anyone would ever get a good grasp of poker theory if they are close-minded. So as far as poker go I would say they are pretty open-minded.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arguing a position because you believe it is the correct one (or you can even show it is the correct one) isn't arrogant. Which is what these two do most of the time. PP often uses sarcasm which rubs some people the wrong way, which I am sure he would plead guilty to. DS has a thing for IQ, which makes him stubbornly refuse to accept that there is any other factor to a persons ability. That often comes off as arrogant.

I don't think anyone would ever get a good grasp of poker theory if they are close-minded. So as far as poker go I would say they are pretty open-minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Paul ends up being sarcastic because so many of the posters who reply to him are utter morons.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM

Arnfinn:"very often answer arrogantly when opposed."

"I will never become as good as these players, but I know that the day your mentality has become such, you are just a sitting duck waiting to be outclassed by more open-minded challengers."

While not experienced at poker it sounds like you Do have personal experience with arrogance and closed mindedness.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While not experienced at poker it sounds like you Do have personal experience with arrogance and closed mindedness.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,
It is a subject that has interested me a lot. I have worked in sales and noticed that those competitors that behave like these when you speak with them, are always the most vulnerable to an attack (when they move from fighting to become the best via being the best without knowing to thinking that they are the best). Have now stayed ahead of competition for some years and noticed that this trap is a very easy one to fall into. Luckily I have some customers that give me a verbal punch each time I tip over.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have on the other hand made great success in some other walks of life.

The real master is the one who realizes that he just borrowes that title and does not own it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You talk about your own "personal success" and then that? What do your accomplishments have to do with their arrogance?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 AM

It's a good point. After a good poker run I have to watch for this. I can accept some bad luck after a good run but I hate to kill the rush with arrogantly bad play.

What's your experience with Message Boards? I've found them to be like another diminsion for human interaction. It can get pretty crazy sometimes.

PairTheBoard
Old 04-01-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have on the other hand made great success in some other walks of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You talk about your own "personal success" and then that? What do your accomplishments have to do with their arrogance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just a way of saying that I know a lot of this kind of psychology so my post is not unfounded.