Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 05:06 PM

Default A newbie post a hand

Hi to all,
it's my first hand here. It's limit 0.25/0.5 at Pasificpoker with around 65% of the people seeing the flop.

Pre-flop : Hero is MP3 with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Hero posts a blind of 0.25
UTG call, UTG+1 call, 2 folds, MP2 call, Hero check, CO raise, Button fold, SB fold, BB fold, UTG call, UTG+1 call, MP3 call, Hero call

Flop: ( 11 SB )10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG bet, UTG+1 call, MP3 call, Hero call, CO raise, everybody call

<font color="blue"> </font> Should i raise here for value?

Turn: ( 10 BB ) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG bet, UTG+1 call, MP3 call, Hero call, CO call

River: ( 15 BB ) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG check, UTG+1 check, MP3 check, Hero check, CO bet, UTG call, UTG+1 call, MP3 fold, Hero call

Final Pot: 19 BB

Should I raise on turn? I was worried about bigger flush.
How would you rate my play in this hand?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: A newbie post a hand

I think you can charge your flush draw a bit on the flop. Table is very passive, right?

Although preflop you should fold this. This would be a nice hand from the BB for free.

JB
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 PM

Welcome to the forums.

I don't 'post' in MP3. In CO or Button I will. Nowhere else.

Certainly raise the flop for value. You'll likely get at least 3 callers, and your flush will hit more than 25% of the time, so this is a +EV raise. When CO raises, and everybody calls, then you should have actually 3 bet when it was back to you.

Turn: raise. your hand is almost certainly good, especially with the 10, Q, and A of your suit out there. Don't be worried about a bigger flush until someone really convinces you that they have one.

Please bet the river.

[ QUOTE ]
How would you rate my play in this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

you misplayed every street [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Again, welcome.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:17 PM

Fold preflop to the raise. Bet/raise every other street.

Raise the turn. You have the best hand and a bunch of players trapped.

on the flop what i do with my flush draw depends on my position relative to the person doing the betting. if someone immediately to your right bets, you do better to just call and let others call. if UTG bets and everyone calls to you to the button, you raise for value. in your specific hand....i call the first bet, but then AFTER it gets raised behind me i 3-bet for value. your pot equity is around 35%. this means that you make 35% of every bet going into the pot. therefore if there is more than 3 people in the hand you can cap the flop for value.

for a more detailed explanation of pot equity, and many other principles that will help you crush these games, please read pages 1-369 of small stakes holdem by ed miller.

you must raise the turn, you dont want to give anyone with a high [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a chance to draw out on you for cheap. even the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a threat to your hand. bet the river for gods sake.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although preflop you should fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

he posted in MP3. i dont think calling one more getting
9-1 on the call is that bad.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM

Preflop: As mentioned, only post from CO or BB. Otherwise, XXs is acceptable to close the action getting 9-1 (it's close here).

Flop: After the CO raises, since there are still &gt;= 3 opponents, reraise. Go-Go-Gadget-Semi-bluff-limp-reraise!

Turn: Fastplay, fastplay, fastplay; don't give credit for other flushes until it's capped or a diamond falls on the river.

River: Fastplay, fastplay, fastplay; punish those sets and straights. If turn is capped, well, not so much.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although preflop you should fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

he posted in MP3. i dont think calling one more getting
9-1 on the call is that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The suited-ness alone is callable for 8:1.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Okay, I typed this out, then I realized that I shouldn't be typing this.

Basically, you need to start doing some reading about the odds and how to push value. Small Stakes Holdem by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth, as well as Holdem Poker for Advanced Players, is a good place to start.

The only thing that I can tell you, after you've read that, is that you shouldn't be afraid of a higher flush. It's really rare that it happens.

========

Anyways, here's my response:

Preflop: This is probably just fine. This is a really lame starting hand, but it IS suited, so it's probably worth the call by the time it gets back around to you (10.5:1, less rake).

When you hit your four flush on the flop, though, you have to start raising the hand. You're going to hit your flush 35% of the time, so as long as you can get four people to see the turn with you, you're making money on the cash that's going in on the flop. Furthermore, the more you can get that pot size up on the flop, the cheaper your turn call becomes when you miss your flush card.

With a four flush, you're concerned about:
-sets! (these guys can make a boat when you hit your flush)
-higher flush: really rare, don't worry about it
-higher one card flushes: If you hit on the turn, they can hit on the river
-two pair: they can make a boat, but less often than a set

If you raise, you could knock out the guy in the cutoff, who could have AK and be afraid of the straight, or something like that.

So, if you KNOW that the CO is going to raise, let him raise, but that's really risky. I think you should raise it when it gets back to you the first time on the flop. Barring that, when it gets back to you the second time you should raise.

Turn:
You had a flush. This is a good hand. Don't be afraid of a higher flush; it happens rarely. No one's given you reason to suspect that they had a higher flush, really. The UTG bettor is more likely to have a jack than a flush (though he DID play this the same as he would play a flush). You should DEFINITELY raise this turn. This is such a scary card that you can't count on the CO to raise. You've got to get your chips in as quick as you can here, because another flush card might hit the river and bust you.

If you're three-bet on the turn, I would probably cap the turn, then call a bet on the river.

River: Bet this. You still have a flush, it's not too late to get the money in there.