Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2002, 12:48 AM

Default NL holdem hand

Here is the scenario 1000 buy-in NL HE. 262,000 chips in play. 40-43 players left in tourney, 131 to start. I have 2800 in TC which is obviously low. The blinds are at 200-400 and 50 antes, 9 players at my table. I have JJ UTG what is my play all-in or 1/2 my chips or some other raise. I am not considering folding in this situation I have to double up soon as blind and antes are eating away at me. I am new to table only played 2 hands and 1 was the hand before I doubled up with pocket threes. I will post my thoughts and what I did later. I feel as though I made a mistake but would like some info from some experienced players. Thanks in advance!!!!! The pay is to 18 places but top 3 is where it is at, but then again any payday is better then no payday!!!!

Swiss Cheese
Old 10-19-2002, 01:00 AM

Default Re: NL holdem hand--results

I made the All-In raise. My thinking at the time was get the blinds and antes move on if no AK or over pair out I feel fairly safe. The hands were folded to BB who called my raise he had me out chiped by about 500. I turn over my JJ he turns KQ off suit. I flopped set he made run a runner straight. My thought is I should have made a 3 or 4 times BB raise then bet it all on flop if no A or K comes. I feel I needed to keep chips in case this scenario came up. Thanks for any responses!!

Swiss Cheese
Old 10-19-2002, 05:23 AM

Default Re: NL holdem hand--results

Dont be result orientated. Blinds are 200-400 and you have a stack size of 2800. A normal raise would be roughly around 3-4BB therefore 1600 clearly more than half your stack. So pushing all in is a better play than simply raising and betting out since your committed anyway.

-MJ
Old 10-21-2002, 12:02 PM

Default Re: NL holdem hand

All-in. The antes make the pot big enough to just go all-in. By only betting 1200 you are asking someone to call you and then you have a tough decision what to do with your final 1600 if there is an overcard. With the antes a pot sized raise is 1850.

Ken Poklitar