Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 01:32 PM

Default how to adjust to weird tournament rules? (cross post)

not to list all the rules, but the ones that are the most unusual... (cross posted in tournament section)

(1) you may raise in increments lower than the blinds, but the big blind must be met pre-flop.

and this is my favorite adjustment to a typical tournament structure!!!

(2) "To keep the game social and discourage overly-aggressive game play, each individual player may only raise once per betting round (pre-flop, flop, turn, river) - this means that a player cannot check-raise or re-raise after s/he has already checked or raised once in a single betting round." (I am also aware of the fact that saying you can raise only once does not directly imply that you can't check-raise, even though the original writer seems to believe it does).

As far as I am concerned this effectively takes the fun out of tournament play... it becomes a lot more like a game of war then I am accustomed to. You lose a lot of the tools of an effective player. But regardless, my wife wants to play in a live game, and has friend... and so we are going.

How would you adjust your strategy to these rules? (aside from trying to convince the guy to change the rules!)

It seems to me that position becomes even more important because the last person to act is also the last person who can raise. You can never be 'trapped' by your opponenets.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: how to adjust to weird tournament rules? (cross post)

[ QUOTE ]
(1) you may raise in increments lower than the blinds, but the big blind must be met pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This needs more explanation. As written, it makes absolutely no sense. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) "To keep the game social and discourage overly-aggressive game play, each individual player may only raise once per betting round

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me this would make the check-raise a more powerful tool, but you mention that may not be possible. hmmm.......

The tricky part of your question involves your wife's determination to play in this lethargic event so a "find something better" answer isn't appropriate.

Go...Play...Be Sociable...and consider the tourney fee a way to keep the wife happy so you can score on a real winner when you get home. That's my advice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Onaflag..........

Oh, one more thing. I think your spot on with position becoming more important. Since you're at absolutely no risk of being raised in many situations (if I read that correctly) then you can "limp" with a heck of a lot more hands you may not normally limp with becasue the risk of being raised behind you is now greatly reduced and many times eliminated.