Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 PM

Default So lets discuss the effectiveness of check-raising...

In what circumstances should you use it?

Obviously if you're check-raising on the turn or river, you have nuts or near nuts... but on the flop, when should u c/r?

What about these cases:

large pot with high mid pair (such as kings on an flop with an ace)

mid two pair when the flop is paired with a low card..

what else?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: So lets discuss the effectiveness of check-raising...

Checkraises are more useful headsup. In multi way pots you can checkraise from early position to knock poeple outta the pot.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:58 PM

The most important one is when you pick up a flush draw. Say you complete from the SB w/ 98s after a few limpers. The BB raises, and all call. If you pick up a flush draw on the flop, check raising is golden. BB bets, some of the limpers call, and then you trap the field for an extra bet.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously if you're check-raising on the turn or river, you have nuts or near nuts...

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
In what circumstances should you use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

My check-raises come in two flavors, more or less. Most frequently I am against a big field with a good but vulnerable hand, the pot is big, and I have some reason to think a bet may come from late position (e.g. the guy is a maniac or he showed strength on a previous street). Other times I have a monster, or just a draw to a monster, and expect a bet from my left (and, usually, the pot is small).
Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM

I c-r the flop with a vulnerable hand against limpers when a nearby bettor has shown some aggression (his nature or pf action). You have to set it up so that limpers face coldcalling - in a mid-sized/large pot you want the competition out now. If the pot's huge it's less likely you'll force anyone out but even if only one folds you've still increased your chances of winning somewhat and over the long run it's worth the extra bet.

If I'm pretty sure I'm leading or have a pile of outs to the best hand I c-r the turn to get more big bets in the pot and would prefer no one be faced with cc'ing. If you blow your wad on the flop in this situation you risk minimal turn action.

If the turn is down to just a couple hands I'll c-r a vulnerable hand if I can force someone to confront coldcalling, for the same reasons you'd do so on the flop against many limpers.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraises are more useful headsup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not always. You limp with 44 UTG, UTG+1 raise, 2 cold callers and the BB join the fun for a Q 7 4r flop. Easy checkraise.

Keep in minf the difference between checkraising for building a pot (above), and checkraising to protect your hand: Relative position.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:08 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
what else?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a late position player bets on the flop, and you have a hand.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:28 PM

I very much disagree with Greg J's check raising post. By C/R you are showing a great amount of stength. You are saying "I don't care if a free card is given, I have a good enough hand to beat you anyway". Why would you want to show that much strength with a very good hand. Just bet out and hope someone raises. Also by check raising you usually get calls from people that have already called, but they will give very little action on later streets since you have shown so much strength.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:34 PM

By checkraising in Greg's example, he builds the pot more effectively. If you bet out, and the preflop raiser, which is right ahead of you raises, the rest of the field faces two cold, and many will fold. By checking, it allows the raiser to bet out (which he will do 9 times out of 10) and people are less likely to respect his raise if they caught any part of the flop, so they all call. You are then able to raise, and anyone who stayed in for one bet will stay in for two. The pot is much bigger for you with a strong hand and drawless board.

Edit: You may want to argue that you can check-call the flop and check-raise the turn so that you aren't showing strength until the bets are bigger. However, first take a look at all the anti-slowplaying threads from some very respectable posters over the last month.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to show that much strength with a very good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because they will call you anyway.

The example I gave was inentionally uncontroversial, and a very straightforward example. I crafted it as such: seriously dude, it's not even close.

EDIT: Scotty explains it better detail.