Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 03:05 AM

Default How long does it take......?

I was just curious as to how long it takes to be able to just shrug off a 100BB+ downswing? I've had downswings before but over the last 700 hands, i've dropped 100 BB, which is one fast downswing, now i'm just scared to play tomorrow lol I've gotten better at taking losses for the day, but this downswing sucked because it was so fast. My first downswings were easier to take because a lot of it was my fault when i first stated out, I've been reviewing my downswing it PT, posting hands in the micro-limit forum (been getting yelled at for flooding). This swing has been the worst because i know its mostly not from my play and losing pots to hugely dominated hands over and over just really sucks.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: How long does it take......?

How long it takes to shrug it off depends on who you are I guess. I used to have a much harder time with downswings, these days I don't really. I think a lot of that comes from going through a lot of them. 100 bet swings are pretty common for me, I had one in that range this weekend. If I let myself get upset about each one I'd be miserable, so I just learn to not care I guess.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just curious as to how long it takes to be able to just shrug off a 100BB+ downswing? I've had downswings before but over the last 700 hands, i've dropped 100 BB, which is one fast downswing, now i'm just scared to play tomorrow lol I've gotten better at taking losses for the day, but this downswing sucked because it was so fast. My first downswings were easier to take because a lot of it was my fault when i first stated out, I've been reviewing my downswing it PT, posting hands in the micro-limit forum (been getting yelled at for flooding). This swing has been the worst because i know its mostly not from my play and losing pots to hugely dominated hands over and over just really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a lot of posts in the last ten days...

anyway, I like to think that 60BB downswings in a day are nothing to be concerned about, but the more I play the more I think about revamping it to 100BBs.

It happens man, so as long as your bankroll isn't in dire straits, keep on truckin' on.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

anyway, I like to think that 60BB downswings in a day are nothing to be concerned about, but the more I play the more I think about revamping it to 100BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

100 BBs can start to stress a person a little, but it shouldn't.

Even a good player who plays only one table online can go through a downswing like that in one session. It shouldn't happen very often (in one session), but it does happen.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM

I poop on 100BB downswings!!!!

For me its a factor of how many ive had at a limit. A 100BB downswing at 5/10 is just another day at the office. A 100BB downswing at 10/20 and I still feel sick to my stomach. I have a hard time forgetting about dollar amounts (I know, im working on it tho).

Its also a factor of how big my bankroll is, if I havent cashed in a while, and Ive got 700BB sitting in my account it doesnt bother me as much as when I had 400BB.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just curious as to how long it takes to be able to just shrug off a 100BB+ downswing? I've had downswings before but over the last 700 hands, i've dropped 100 BB, which is one fast downswing, lol I've gotten better at taking losses for the day, but this downswing sucked because it was so fast. My first downswings were easier to take because a lot of it was my fault when i first stated out, I've been reviewing my downswing it PT, posting hands in the micro-limit forum (been getting yelled at for flooding). This swing has been the worst because i know its mostly not from my play and losing pots to hugely dominated hands over and over just really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

After you've played enough poker, you take these 100BB swings in stride. They happen, at times more often than others, and just realize its part of a poker player's variance. Alternately, you could tighten up and play less hands, which would decrease your variance but you are still not "safe" from a given N BB downswing. They happen, learning to deal with them is essential if you want to continue as a poker player.

One thing you mentioned...

[ QUOTE ]
now i'm just scared to play tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

is a problem. If you are playing scared, you are better off not playing. Take the time to analyze your play and come back confident, or drop limits to one in which you are more comfortable. Playing scared poker isn't going to help your play or your downswing any.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:40 AM

Well I play alot more tables/hour than your average poker joe, but the result should be the same for everyone else, just spread out.

After using the "streaks" spreadsheet and plugging in my stats, over 2000 play hours, I can expect a 300BB slide. Of course I play 12 tables at a time, so your average 4 tabler might see something like that spread over 6000 hours.

The fact is, though, that some time over a year of play, I'll probably have a loss 300BBs. My biggest so far was about 150, and that didnt really even phase me too much. I think 300 would be a real mindblow though.

Anyway, my point is: 100BB slides arent just another day at the office, but they arent by any means irregular. 200 are highly irregular, and 300+ seem like a dive that only a pro should expect.

Unless of course you're a losing player. Then you could easily lose 25,000 big bets (IE ellix powers losing 1000$ at penny poker)
Old 03-31-2005, 01:06 PM

Yea I know, it definatly is a problem, going to reread SSHE again, I always get something out of the book each time i read.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:54 PM

100 big bets in 700 hands isn't actually that fast. 200 hands is fast.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM

ooh, well i've only been playing for about 2.5 months online, just seemed fast to me.