Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 PM

Default nominee, worst play by a set

$2/$5 NL, villain and I both have around $500. Villain is solid but overaggressive, given to big bets, and also trapping->allin overbets with big hands.

So. I'm tilting a little and limp 22 UTG+1. Villain makes it $25 from the CO, I call, headsup.

Flop:

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he checks.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $35, he calls. Hopefully he is "trapping" with AK.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, he goes all-in, I turbomuck, he flashes KK.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: nominee, worst play by a set

nice catch.. rivered a 4 outer.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was set over set.

Bad play was his -- if he'd bet it normally he would've won a lot; I was aching to get into a pot with him and he might've gotten me all-in on the turn. His cutesy play telegraphed his hand strongly enough that I could put him squarely on AA, KK, or AK, making the river an easy check/fold.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was set over set.

Bad play was his --

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarify that I'm not thrilled with my preflop play, and the mentality that had me taking shots at a solid player.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM

please dont tell me that you normally muck low PP's here.

that would make me sad.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please dont tell me that you normally muck low PP's here.

that would make me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of limping early with deuces and treys. (Did some thinking a while back and realized that they account for ~50% of set-over-set.) I normally muck 'em unless there are multiple callers. Or, paradoxically, unless we're fixing for a big pot.

BUT I also don't like calling a large raise headsup, out of position, with a small pair against a solid player; I don't feel like I make enough $$ to justify it unless I get another caller or can use position.

Against a weak opponent, whose raise always means big-pair-i-can't-release, I'm in preflop for <10% of his stack, out for more. Routine, right?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 PM

I didnt believe you in a thread along time ago when you told me limping from EP with small pairs isnt a profitable play, but the more that I think about it your analysis above is pretty spot on. Last time I played that game I called a pretty big raise(21 I think) out of the BB from dnh and he had AA and turned a set after I flopped one...it sucked.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt believe you in a thread along time ago when you told me limping from EP with small pairs isnt a profitable play, but the more that I think about it your analysis above is pretty spot on. Last time I played that game I called a pretty big raise(21 I think) out of the BB from dnh and he had AA and turned a set after I flopped one...it sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was involved in 2 set-over-sets in the last week, and 22 was the low set in both of 'em. Two other times I mucked 22-33 and would've had the lower set. At one level, that's poker, but at another level, why put yourself into those situations?

I think that in a tight-ish game (which describes the pokerroom game I play in) there's no EV to it without multiway action or positional steal equity.

Now I just need to convince myself to stop limping suited connectors in a tight game...
Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 PM

I realize what happend, I was saying you had a nice catch saving you hundreds of dollars on the river. Any A( 3) or K(1) saves you that coupled with his horrid play really saved you.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize what happend, I was saying you had a nice catch saving you hundreds of dollars on the river. Any A( 3) or K(1) saves you that coupled with his horrid play really saved you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, kinda like the fourth suited card hitting and saving your baby flush from the ace-high flush.