Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Default QQ Hand

3 Handed 2-5 game on PokerRoom

SB has around $750 at the start of this hand. He's a good player, very loose pre-flop, and aggressive but not maniacal afterwards.

Button ($575), who isn't very good, opens for $18, SB calls, I call with QQ.

Flop comes 3-3-9 rainbow. SB checks, I bet $45, button folds, SB minraises. He's done this a couple of times so far heads up, and will do it with a wide variety of hands if he feels someone is making a play for the pot. Anyway, I call.

Turn is a 10, completing the rainbow. He bets $100, I call.

River is a low card. He pots it, I call.

Was pretty sure I had him until his river push. Comments on the play throughout?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: QQ Hand

Either fold to the flop minraise or call down. If you are happy to play for your stack with QQ then go for it but this is very read dependent as you are only able to really beat a bluff.

After the minraise you know he is going to lead out for a pot bet on the turn so the best way to get his chips when ahead is to call down.

If he would bluff enough to make this profitable then call, if not then muck...

-Steve
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 PM

That's what I thought. The reason I called down is that I figured that he'll fire the whole way with a nine, and he most likely puts me on something like 88 or 77, probably not QQ.

But the more that I think about it, his play throughout makes it seem like he had no regard whatsoever for my hand, which makes me realize that I should have thought alot harder about folding.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 Handed 2-5 game on PokerRoom

SB has around $750 at the start of this hand. He's a good player, very loose pre-flop, and aggressive but not maniacal afterwards.

Button ($575), who isn't very good, opens for $18, SB calls, I call with QQ.

Flop comes 3-3-9 rainbow. SB checks, I bet $45, button folds, SB minraises. He's done this a couple of times so far heads up, and will do it with a wide variety of hands if he feels someone is making a play for the pot. Anyway, I call.

Turn is a 10, completing the rainbow. He bets $100, I call.

River is a low card. He pots it, I call.

Was pretty sure I had him until his river push. Comments on the play throughout?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would consider popping the raiser preflop with those queens. They're not the best trapping hand, because of the likelihood of an overcard on the flop; KK & AA much better. May also fold out the good player and get you headsup against the bad player, which is a situation you very much want to be in, even out of position.

On the river, man. I got no answers.

Min-reraising on the flop, and then betting (or checking!) the turn, might allow you to discover where you are; you can fold to SB coming over the top or an all-in move.