Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Pots odds and BAD cards...how low to go

Paradise MTT, which means blinds+antes move up in a hurry, and being above the average and having 4-5 rounds of Blinds & antes is not uncommon.

We are in the money, with apx 40 players remaining. I am slightly above average, but by no means deep stacked.
I am BB, action folded to CO, who pushes his short stack. The Button calls for his remaining chips. SB folds, and I have this decision.

7300 in pot. I have 64o, and it will cost 1150 to call.
In their situation, I figured the range for both players was AX, any pair and two broadway, Possibly KXs, or some SCs.

So the question is, do you make this call taking the favorable odds, or conserve your chips? I always make the call BTW, I just wanted some discussion on it.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Pots odds and BAD cards...how low to go

I appreciate this question and would also be interested in hearing what some of the more experienced MTT players think about this concept. I have had a few ITM finishes where pot odds calls killed my stack and kept me from a better finish. Is it truly "any two" with odds to call?

Thanks,

Pair
Old 03-30-2005, 04:08 PM

I think I'll get flamed for this, but this is a call I would seriously consider making. you're getting 7:1 and you won't have to put another chip in the stack. If they don't have a PP, then both your cards will more than likely be live and you have a decent shot at a straight. The other thing this does, is that it shows people that you WILL call crap from the BB and that might make them think twice about trying to steal from you
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM

I tend to call here as well. I had this exact hand in the BB yesterday, when the button was all-in and I called (won the hand when the 6 hit...knocked out a very angry KQ).

I general I will call with any two when odds are above 4:1. An exception is if the calls cripples me, and a fold would allow me to pick a better spot to get my chips in.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:11 AM

I did call. Flopped 2 pair, but got rivered when the board paired Ts making my 4 a lowly kicker. When the flop hit, one of the players who was all-in was berating me as usual. He did have a good line though.

"Did you think we were playing Uno?"
Old 03-31-2005, 10:27 AM

I go with any 2 here and on Paradise as quick as I can.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 PM

what are the blinds right now?