Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Please Help with Hand

This is a 1/3 No Limit game. My stack size is about 200. Villian has about 350. Villian is a tight player who is pretty good.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button. One limper in the CO, I limp, SB (Villian) completes, and BB checks. Villian Checked in the dark, which he does often.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It went check(dark) check check . I led out for 12 dollars. Villain calls and other 2 fold.

Turn:4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian now leads out for 50. I think for a minute and have no idea what he has. I think maybe he is on a flush draw or something. I call.

River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He thinks for about 30 seconds and after playing with some chips finally checks. I bet out 50 thinking I am good. Villian goes all in immediately.

Results:

Villain:J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] straight
Old 03-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Please Help with Hand

Raise preflop.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 PM

I would strongly consider raising this preflop. An open limp from the CO is pretty weak. If he had anything good at all he should be raising. Therefore, take the pot down preflop.

So as for the real question. I believe the pot is $12 on the flop. It's checked to you and you bet the pot, which is good. Villain just calls.

So on the turn there's $36 and he comes to life overbetting the pot with a $50 bet. Very strange. I'm probably bias since you posted the results, but he's probably trying to discourage you from drawing if you're on one of the 2 flush draws. I think I would have to fold this hand and assume he has my 1 pair beaten. If he was making a move, tell him nh, but you don't want to play a big pot with a top pair Queen, ace kicker.

In the future, I would encourage you to not post the results of the hand with your question. You'll get much better responses that way.

Good luck.
KoW
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM

I agree w/ Kowkiller, raise pre-flop, fold the turn. I would also like to make it clear that as the hand played out, you must check behind on the river.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM

Fold the turn, it commits you to early. On the river, check behind, or go ahead and bet but fold to a raise.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:13 PM

What others have said is good. One comment though.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn:4

Villian now leads out for 50. I think for a minute and have no idea what he has. I think maybe he is on a flush draw or something. I call

[/ QUOTE ]

I would highly doubt that. It seems the opposite; he has a fragile made hand which he's trying to protect. Given he dark called/checked (Im guessing?) then check-called flop it really could be AQ, KQ, QJ, QT, Qx... All good.
Or Q9, Q8, 98, JT, QQ, 99, 88. All bad.

I dont like the turn call either, or really not raising preflop, but IF I called the turn, I do NOT think the river bet is bad; it really looks like a top pair hand trying to check/call from a missed draw. So it's possible he pays off with a weaker queen. But, definately fold to the raise.