Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 01:06 PM

Default To My Fellow ML\'ers

Hello all. There's been a lot of posts and newer players coming through who are asking all sorts of advice which I think is great and all because I was in that camp only like 8 months ago. But I'll let you guys in on something. No good poker player just got good by spending a lot of time posting hands and following the advice in a rote-like way. All good poker players got there because they spent a lot of time THINKING about poker.

We all know about what they say about giving a man a fish versus teaching him how to fish (ironic given the game but anyways). To all my new friends here, we want to teach you how to fish, not just give you fish. Posting hands and just reading the advice for it's own sake --> giving fish. Reading other hands and advice and thinking about the game on your own --> teaching you how to fish. And I think every single person here wants to be taught how to fish. So to newer players, if you're serious about this game, please read and think deeply about this game.

But we veterans have a responsibility too. I admit sometimes I fall into the "Raise pre-flop, call flop, fold turn" line of advice-giving which doesn't help anyone. So if I'm going to implore you guys to think about the game, then I need to do my part and help teach you how to fish. So I'll do my best to explain my thinking and not give just rote one-liners.

There has been a lot of discussion and post on how to improve this board and I think this is the simplest way, by escalating everyone's skill about the game as effective as possible. And the most effective way to do this is for newer players to think about the game and for veterans to show you their thinking.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: To My Fellow ML\'ers

Short, sweet, to the point. This post should be bumped at least once a week. Nice job. And I promise to show up for class every day with my tackle box and thinking cap on.

Thanks to you and all the vets who have stuck around the micros to teach us n00bs, even though you're likely on your own journey at the SS forums by now. I, for one, am very grateful.

-Salty
Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All good poker players got there because they spent a lot of time THINKING about poker. But we veterans have a responsibility too. So I'll do my best to explain my thinking and not give just rote one-liners.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a veteran, and that is especially why I usually explain my thinking when I post a reply to a hand post. Do you see why?

When I'm very confident I know the correct action, I might post a one line answer.

If the veterans are teachers, then the newbies are students and perhaps ought be held accountable for doing research and homework. Do you see why?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:18 PM

As an addition to Davelin's sage advice I would like to add....

ASK QUESTIONS OR POST COMMENTS IN EXISTING THREADS!!!

Posting hands is not that helpful if you post boring hands that no one repsonds to. Find an existing thread and when a bit of advice is confusing to you question it? Say what your instinct was and try to defend your play. The discussion that will insure will help your game more than anything I can recommend. It's much more important to understand the underlying concepts than it is to understand the best line for one given hand. When you ask questions or challenge advice the insuing discussion will give you a much better understanding of concepts which will apply to many situations you will encounter. We might even learn a thing or two about poker from you in the process. I know I try to learn something new every day!

Don't be afraid of criticism. It is your best friend here! Pride is for the weak minded who are afraid to learn!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to you and all the vets who have stuck around the micros to teach us n00bs, even though you're likely on your own journey at the SS forums by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

For my part, explaining difficult things to others helps me at least as much as who I am talking to. It clarifies things in my mind.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM

for the "bet flop, call turn" responses, its really up to the new posters to figure out why a certain answer is correct. honestly i love it when there is a debate in SS and someone like clark comes along and simply gives his 'answer'. having an answer key and even a *little* self-motivation is enough to figure out most hands.

the past few months, if I'm the first to respond to a topic, i tend to simply ask the topic creator questions to direct him rather than provide answers. i'm not sure what peeps think about that style.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 01:22 PM

That's good Grunch. I intend on helping you in that regard A LOT this year. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid of criticism. It is your best friend here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Some of the most useful threads for my own learning were ones where I posted advice, and was met with a barrage of "This is the worst advice I've ever seen." And there were plenty. And they aren't even old enough to be archived yet. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] And no, you should not go bumping those threads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid of criticism. It is your best friend here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Some of the most useful threads for my own learning were ones where I posted advice, and was met with a barrage of "This is the worst advice I've ever seen." And there were plenty. And they aren't even old enough to be archived yet. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] And no, you should not go bumping those threads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine are usually found on the front page. (I wish I was joking)
Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the past few months, if I'm the first to respond to a topic, i tend to simply ask the topic creator questions to direct him rather than provide answers. i'm not sure what peeps think about that style.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that style can be helpful to the thread starter, Dog. Further, it might tend to encourage more thoughful questions which would naturally lead to more insightful responses. Tough Love coming from the hood.