Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Did I play this as bad as I think I did?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button folds.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

River: (10 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 03-29-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Did I play this as bad as I think I did?

The preflop raise looks good. The flop check is reasonable too, against 7 people with that board. It's probably best to fold the turn, because since you have so many opponents there's a strong chance that someone already connected to the board and has you reverse dominated, or has a 2, there's a small chance someone has a better diamond and your Qd is no good, and the pot may seem huge at 7 bb but your equity in this situation is going to be very very low. Once you get to the river which has the fourth diamond, I wouldn't fold for just one bet either.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:04 PM

what street do you think you played this hand poorly?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:07 PM

Bet the flop. You do have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and even if you didn't, I think the flop is worth a bet. As scared of the monotone flop as you are, they're just as scared.

Turn is fine.

River is debateable. I can see an argument for raising and an argument for calling. Which one you do, I think depends more on your read of the SB and UTG.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:13 PM

Didn't know whether or not I should have bet the river since there are 2 others in the pot and one of which could have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise looks good. The flop check is reasonable too, against 7 people with that board. It's probably best to fold the turn, because since you have so many opponents there's a strong chance that someone already connected to the board and has you reverse dominated, or has a 2, there's a small chance someone has a better diamond and your Qd is no good, and the pot may seem huge at 7 bb but your equity in this situation is going to be very very low. Once you get to the river which has the fourth diamond, I wouldn't fold for just one bet either.

[/ QUOTE ]

no reason to fold this flop, the Q has plenty of value and you are getting overlay on the call .. you prob can't go crazy with the made flush but its still good a solid % of the time
Old 03-30-2005, 02:10 AM

no need to raise the river here the way the hand got played out. going for the sb overcall is a better line than raising the original river bettor, forcing out the sb who may have called and then getting 3-bet by the ace or if the guy is gutsy the king.

you played the hand fine.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:45 AM

I think betting the flop is very important. You raised pf, so it will not necessarily scare away smaller flush draw or made flushes. Additionally you're cutoff and betting after everyone checks, so even more likely that people will call.

There's no reason to be scared of A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Sure they could be out there, but don't worry about it.... here's why....

7 handed = 12 cards to your opponents. 12/45 chance A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] got dealt at all. Same fore K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].... or situation so you add them up 24/45 that one of your opponents has A or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 53% someone has a flush that will beat you. Pot odds? 1:14 on flop had you bet. 1:7 on turn. 1:10 on river. This compares to roughly 1:1 or 1:2 (if you're a pessimist) of winning. Huge overlay. This ignores the paired board, but even considering this the overlay is big enought to pumpt this....

Bet out on the flop, pump the flush, is what I think. And this is a great opportunity to pump the flush, since no one seems to be folding this family pot, and your hand is disguised due to pf raise, so many will expect you to bet as a matter of course.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 AM

Without doing all the math, I simply think someone would bet/raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I bet this flop.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:07 AM

I would bet/raise with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So, yeah, raise UTG on the turn and river. You have no idea what he has, especially after the check through on the flop he could have a 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a 2 pair, or a pair, or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] who knows? But the odds are in YOUR favor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You fear a boat and a higher flush ( A or K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] having been dealt is ~53%; boat is unlikely although 2 (3 actually) pocket pairs are reasonable hands that could sink you), but the pot is large. Your overlay makes it worth playing this hand aggressively on the turn and river, and the shear number of people in the pot, your pf raise, and your late position make it worthwhile to raise the flop and hope everyone stays in.