Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Default A-small agaisnt a button raiser.

One of the toughest blind defence type hands for me to play well is an Axo where x is a 2-6. It's folded around, a medium to agresive button player raises and i have A2o or A6o in the BB when SB either folds or calls.

This hand is too good to fold but is very hard to play out of position heads up. Any thoughts on this particlarly common situation?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: A-small agaisnt a button raiser.

bump
Old 03-29-2005, 09:33 PM

I'll bump also. I've begun to dread these situations so much. It seems like so many flops leave you with one marginal overcard or a pair of aces which will often scare your opponent away. I've started folding some of the smallest offsuit aces against decent players because I know I make mistakes with them postflop and my small preflop advantage isn't enough to make up for it. I'm real interested to get some good advice on this.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:07 PM

I'm also interested in what hands you guys are calling with from the BB against a button or SB steal raise. How far down would you go with unsuited hands, T9o, 98o? Are you calling with any Qxs?

Also, what about when the button raises and SB calls, how does that change things?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 PM

Depends how aggresive the botton raiser is. If he's constantly tryign to steal i will call with any two cards 8 or higher, 87o, 67o, 56s, and any A or K, and reraise frequently.

If he's fairly tight and hasn't pushed me around much in a session i will tighten up significantly in the BB, usually just raise or fold.

If the Sb calls i will play more suited hands liberally against a tight button raiser.

That's just me though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 03:26 AM

After running some poker stove numbers A2o-A6o have less then 50% equity against a button raiser who is raising with 1/3 of his hands.

If the button raiser is raisng with 1/2 of his possible hands, the quity is damn close, around a 52% edge to 48%.

This isn't much different from JTo, QTo, Q9o type hands, but when you hit here you are much more likely to have a big edge on the flop rather then the Axo smalls when you hit the xo. This is why those hands are much easier to play for one.

This being true i'd much rather muck the A2o-A6o and be much more willing to call with the Jto Q9o type hands.

I could be wrong though, i'd liek soem feedback on my rational [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 03:34 AM

As a general rule, I call against bad players, especially if they're loose.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong though, i'd liek soem feedback on my rational

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like you to edit your posts. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 AM

We need more info on these sims you ran. Which 1/3 and 1/2 of hands did you run? Sims like this also don't account for postlfop play. Many players are willing to hand you bet after bet if you hit the flop in steal situations. Only having a 48% equity edge preflop is more than enough if you play fit or fold and manage to pick up some bets postflop.

Nate ran a bunch of blind stealing sims a while back on some software that did crude postflop sims, I'd do a search for those or see if anybody bookmarked them.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:45 AM

I normally call if hu, sometimes 3bet if he is raising "any2". I normally also call when SB is in, but I dont like that as much.

If my small card pairs and Im HU I normally cr flop.

If I hit my A I normally checkcall flop and turn against aggressive player and bet out on river.

Against 2 players I normally bet both my small pair and A on flop. If SB bets out and is weak I fold, if he bets out and likes to bet out I often raise (or fold).

If I dont hit HU I normally let it go because its tricky to win a lot out of position with A high, but sometimes i cr and take it from there. And sometimes bet flop if he is capable of giving up or capable of calling with any2.

Against 2 I normally fold my Ax if I dont hit flop and someone bet.