Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Problems using search to find Ulysses posts

I have seen many people recommend looking at old Ulysses (who changed screen name to El Diablo) HUSH posts. I have done this and also recommend it.

However, my searches often turn up nothing even when I put in parameters I know to be valid (like posts newer than 4 years) and spell "Ulysses" correctly. First off, let me just ask if it is only me having this problem?

Now, let me just state a few obvious things before stating what I have figured out so far. It doesn't seem to matter what browser I am using (IE vs Firefox) whether I capitalize, restarting browser, etc. All the pretty obvious stuff. Also, I only seem to have the problem with Ulysses and assume of course that the issue relates to the fact that he changed his user name a few months ago.

OK, what I have figured out so far: It seems there is some sort of serial correlation going on. If I have done a successful Ulysses search, the next search will also succeed if I do a valid search. But once I do an invalid search, like "posts newer than 1 week", all subsequent searches fail, whether valid or not.

Once I have done an invalid search, the only way I have found to reset the search engine is to go to a bookmarked Ulysses post, click on "show all user's posts", and then try the search again. Then it seems to work.

So, anyway, I guess I am able to do the search via this work around but it's kind of annoying and I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem or can shed any light on WTF is going on here.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Problems using search to find Ulysses posts

are u searching the recent archives?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:33 PM

I have the same problem I've resorted to reading every post in the old archives. I'm sure this will do me more good than harm though.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:35 PM

Try this:
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/search.php?Cat=
Newer than 2 years, older than 6 months, Heads Up forum, Ulysses

You need to be in the archive server not forum server.

cjx
Old 03-29-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, thanks for the responses. It is starting to make some sense now. I did not know there was a difference between regular search and archive search. DrGutshot gave me this link in another thread and I actually thought he was being snide b/c I didn't realize this was a different search link than the one I had been clicking on.

It looks like what was happening was that I was clicking on the search link which generally goes to regular search. But when I was going to Ulysses page and searching from there, the search link goes to the archive search instead of regular search (I guess b/c it is a pseudo-defunct login name). So it wasn't working because I went to Ulysses page, but because the search link from Ulysses page directed me unwittingly to the archive search.

OK, so thanks again and my apologies if this is common knowledge but this is the first time I have seen someone point out the difference. And the two search pages look exactly the same as far as I can tell, except for the URL which I don't tend to pay much attention to.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM

It would be appreciated if you could post links to his posts or maybe PM them to me if no one else is interested.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Edit: O.K no need anymore, I am reading everything anyway. But if you find some gems definately post 'em.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try this:
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/search.php?Cat=
Newer than 2 years, older than 6 months, Heads Up forum, Ulysses

cjx

[/ QUOTE ]

You're my hero. I was wondering how to do this.