Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Who gonna call you?

New table. No reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: I am MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, I call, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, I call.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, I check.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 03-29-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Who gonna call you?

I think it goes something like this, you're opponents are complete morons, when in doubt bet. That 3 looks good for you, I'm going to bet and give k5 with the kc a chance to call. On the flip side, if you bet what is going to call you that is beating you? I'm balancing the chances of a random jack appearing on the end as lower than the chances someone with the 5 will call so fire away.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:04 AM

I think you should bet this.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:48 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Anybody else prefer calling the flop and taking a wait and see approach on the turn? I think it's doubtful that BB will bet AK into three people when a turn blank falls and I think u will have a better idea of where u stand on the turn.

Edit: I don't hate raising the flop b/c the hand becomes a hell of a lot easier to play, but just trying to see what u all think.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:58 AM

I dislike the flop raise. I am interested in peoples thoughts as to why raising the flop is correct.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not seeing it either.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 PM

Could one of the three people who don't like the flop raise elaborate?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:08 PM

On this flop with this action so far the hero can expect 77 to be winning. The hero doesn't want to play like a passive douchebag so he raises. Basically if hero calls the flop what sort of card on the turn is he going to be able to then raise? I think it is pretty easily recognized that most cards that come off will be "scare cards" so he would be even less inclined to raise the turn. If he doesn't raise at some point in the hand he's just being a calling station here. That is sub-optimal poker. So he raises the flop in order to check if anyone feels like 3 betting, in order to get checked to on the next round (which might even get him a free card if say, an ace pops on the turn he can try to catch his set for free on the river) and finally in order to get checked to on the river so that he can decide whether to value bet or take the showdown. It should be very obvious in this hand example that as soon as Hero raised the flop the other 3 players all let him run the show from there on out. Since Hero wasn't folding the flop this is very desireable for him.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thier fear is that 77 doesn't beat a weak TP.

What they are missing is that not only a weak TP is going to bet here, and Hero has position for the rest of the hand.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a bettor, 2 callers, an overcard on board, and your hand is very vulnerable at this point.