Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Would u call this?

I have no history about this hand, but I remember the essential.

I'm UTG with about $500 at 2/4 no limit table.. I make a $12 raise and it's folded to BB who calls. He has me covered. Flop is Q 8 6 rainbow. BB bets $12 and I call. Turn is A and it puts two diamonds on the board. Villain bets $25 and I call again..

River is 5 and there is no flush possibility. Now villain bets all of his stack into $100 pot. I would have to put $450 to see his hand. Who calls this? I folded, since there was an OESD, which completed by the river.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Would u call this?

Wouldn't it be essential to know what you hold? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 09:24 AM

You didnt remember the most essential thing, what your two cards were
Old 03-29-2005, 09:56 AM

Folding is fine here. If you're going to play without looking at your cards, you have to be very good at reading people, and you have to be able to push people off their hands. You obviously have no folding equity here, and you're facing a huge overbet with a random hand. You're probably beat here.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is fine here. If you're going to play without looking at your cards, you have to be very good at reading people, and you have to be able to push people off their hands. You obviously have no folding equity here, and you're facing a huge overbet with a random hand. You're probably beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 09:59 AM

I had QQ.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:09 AM

Hmmm... Are you really concerned about BB holding 97 or 74? Since he called your pre-flop raise, I bet he has a pocket pair. Maybe he's got AA, but I don't think I would fold. To be a winning NL player, you must be willing to put your stack at risk sometimes. I'm currently working on this myself...
Old 03-29-2005, 10:13 AM

Unless he's a lunatic he doesn't have the cards that make that straight. No flush, no boat possibilities means you beat everything but AA. Easy call.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:34 AM

If you fold here, you might have discovered a large leak in your game. Think of all the possible scare cards that could have come on the river: 5, 10, any diamond... I think you're giving up the winning hand too often.

What this probably points to is the need to raise at some point. I'm not sure if the flop was the time to do it... I like to slowplay sets a little bit on a rainbow flop. (Though raising on the flop should tell you pretty quickly if he hit the flop strongly or if he was semi-bluffing the OESD).

But I think by his turn bet, you definitely definitely need to raise. At that point, all you're losing to is AA. I think a raise to $75 or $100 would give you a pretty good indication of whether or not you're beat. A call means likely a lower set, and a reraise might make me think AA hit his set. Then again, I'm new here and only have 15k hands experience in online poker... so maybe someone else has some better thoughts?

Of course, on the other hand, if I get reraised on the turn, I'm probably pushing anyways. Good for him if he had AA and only called your 3xBB bet preflop out of position and then lucked out hitting a 2-outer on the turn. The number of times I will see him flip over AQ or 88 or 66 certainly outweighs the number of times I see him flip over 9-7 or AA. The former seem to me to be reasonable preflop calling hands, while the latter just aren't. Then again, a 4xpot bet on the river is not reasonable either...
Old 03-29-2005, 10:46 AM

If you're going to play top set this passively (by just calling on the flop and turn), you have to be comfortable making a decision like this on the river. I think this is a fairly easy call unless I have enough history with BB to know he'd call a raise out of position with the small one- or two-gappers that make the straight. If I have enough history with BB to know he might play a hand like 97 or 74 this way, I definitely would've raised the flop and/or the turn to define his hand better.