Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Typical HU line when you miss with AK?

I think this might be a hole in my game. It's a common situation which I think I might be routinely screwing up.

ASSUME TYPICAL PARTY PLAYERS: NO READS

1 limper, Hero raises PF with AK (or similar). All but limper fold.

Flop is junk.

Limper checks, Hero bets.

Turn more junk. Limper checks, Hero bets.

When is it wrong to be doing this? It seems I often bet out the flop and turn and end up getting checkraised a lot when calling station hits something on turn or river. When they don't hit, they obviously fold the river. Should I just be content to check the turn and river, just the river?

My instinct tells me that betting flop and turn is correct but I'm not sure about the turn (maybe limper is afraid of the PFR and calling down a pair?). I think checking the river through is pretty easy b/c of the whole call ahead/fold behind thing.

Question 2: What about when there are two limpers? Are flop and turn bets right there?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Typical HU line when you miss with AK?

I usually fire two barrells into 1 or 2 opponents as long as there are draws on the board.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:57 AM

so with just crap on the board you bet just the flop, check turn and c/f river?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 AM

You should never bet the river when you miss. Someone may take exception to the never but I'll say it anyway. If they are calling with a draw they will fold the river, if they are calling with a pair hoping you have AK then you are handing them 1bb by betting. On a draw heavy board or all rags I'll bet twice into 1 opponent almost every time. You did not post what limit, but if this is lower limit then there are so many calling stations that will call the flop with their overcards hoping to catch a pair. You have to charge KJ AT or whatever the maximum. If a solid player calls you on the flop, you may want to check the turn and take a free card as he may have a pocket pair. A solid player is not calling you with KJs, unless there is a flush draw out. Fold to the turn check raise, unless this is 15-30 then consider the opponent. I would only call a maniac here. If you pick up a draw then strongly consider checking the turn with your gutshot or 4 flush. This is out of HEPFAP where it says you should bet without outs and check with outs. If I had a strong draw like a gutshot and the nut flush draw, I would bet.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 AM

it usually depends on position, but i will almost always bet the turn hu with unimproved ak for 2 reasons

1. it gives them a chance to fold
2. it may buy you a free showdown with a hand you do not want to call a bet on the river with.

obviously reason 2 is a lot better if u have the button in the hand so that is often a factor for me
Old 03-29-2005, 07:53 AM

Yeah that pretty much hits it on the head. On a board with any draw a lot of party players will let you fire twice and then check behind. That's good for you. You also get to keep betting when you improve.