Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Help me off the ledge.

10sng--Villain has shown that he will play any two cards in any position, played 25o in CO, Q4s MP and an assortment of other cards. Will call min raises with any two cards, and will raise with any two suited, pair, and possibly any two.

I bet out hoping to take it down right there and also figuring odds are that he did not have a J in his hand, hopefully a 4. When he put me all-in I figured that he had nothing so I thought about it and figured I was in front.

This type of hand has happened to me several times today, and it is very frustrating getting your chips in, being ahead and then getting beat. I know this is poker, but wth.

What more can you do? Let me guess, my flop bet should have been more? It seems that is always the case, you bet too much/you didn't bet enough. I really tried to make sure that I had decent hands when I entered the pot so that I could get this guy to pay me off with his crap, but this was only the second hand he chose to play with me. I took down that with a modest turn bet with flush flop(I had nuts) and turn Pairing a Q, he folded to my turn bet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t1390)
UTG (t1185)
MP (t2815)
<font color="#C00000">CO (t4815)</font>
Button (t1100)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2195)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t200.

Flop: (t900) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t2100</font>, Hero calls t1395 (All-In).

Turn: (t4795) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4795) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4795

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has 9c Kc (two pair, kings and jacks).
Hero has Td Ts (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: CO wins t4795. </font>
Old 03-28-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Help me off the ledge.

Only advice I can give is to switch from being results oriented (person X sucked out on me so I must've played it bad) to performance oriented (person X sucked out on me so I must've played it well)

You want this situation to happen. If it never did, you'd be a losing poker player.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:22 PM

oh, I completely agree with you. I am not frustrated with how I played it per se. I know this happens to everyone. It just really really suck to have it happen three times in one day to have the best of things and lose every time.

I suppose it is human nature to be upset at the result of something that is planned to perfection but for whatever reason goes wrong.

I am sure that every person that gets close to the real money only to lose when they have a good hand has a similar story to tell. I was just sharing my pain. People that don't play poker would never understand how it feels to make a good read on someone only to have the cards fall their way. Believe it or not, it happened to me four times in a row today. I guess I should be happy, because the odds are in my favor that it is going to swing my way sooner or later.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Not to be an ass, but I'd rather comfort or feel sympathy with you if you didn't lead me to believe you actually wanted advice... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course it sucks to be drawn out on, but on the other hand, good allin calls postflop are probably my favorite feeling all categories right now. I like it a LOT.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 PM

ill beat the bad "bad beat police" to this thread...if they even show up.

HOW CAN U FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS?!?!? you applied everything correctly...u had a read, u had a hand...u got you chips in a HUGE favorite (he had 3 clean outs) and u lost...

I'm not going to berate you for posting this, I empathize...but really...what are you going to hear that you dont know already? And if you dont know it already, that bodes poorly.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I should be happy, because the odds are in my favor that it is going to swing my way sooner or later.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might want to re-read "That of Which we do not speak" [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that bodes poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Please! To reach that far and come up empty? How sad! Try this: "that poorly bodes" [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that bodes poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Please! To reach that far and come up empty? How sad! Try this: "that poorly bodes" [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhoh...it appears we were instead visited by the grammar police...hide! They're even more boring than the bad beat police, just w/o the nightsticks...

lemme rephrase..."if you dont know that already, then, uh, that's....that's not good"

touche'...or as the French say, "Touche' moi"
Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 PM

I don't like your minraise preflop. I'd rather push preflop, IMHO, depending on the conditions. Playing TT with high blinds can be hard, so I think pushing is correct.

Once that board comes down, you're broke.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 AM

Only did it because you have previously demonstrated that you have a good sense of humor [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]