Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default $80M Game?!?

Haven't seen this one discussed yet...

---

Beal and Brunson close to an $80 million poker game
By Barry Shulman, Card Player Chairman - 2005-03-25

Last fall I was at the center of, and tried to help facilitate, the biggest poker game in the world between Andy Beal, a wealthy Dallas amateur and a group of the best pros ever assembled, including Doyle Brunson.

For six weeks we went back and forth because both sides were hoping to skew things in their favor. All parties were disappointed that it just couldn't seem to come together.

Beal just phoned me and said he is ready to play on their terms. We are talking a match here where both sides put up $40,000,000 and play until one goes broke.

Full details will be available next week in Card Player and at CardPlayer.com.

---

I can't wait to see what the pros' "terms" are. Why doesn't Beal simply write a check for $20M to charity, give the pros $15M, and rathole the last $5M for when he goes broke?

Seriously though, I understand the gambling mentality, but he doesn't even have the remotest chance of success here, so why do it? Is there some angle I am missing that makes this an even-money or better deal for the guy? (Book deal, movie or something?).
Old 03-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: $80M Game?!?

Andy Beal is a very smart man, imho he has more than "remote" chance of winning. One doesn't have to waste all his life playing poker when he can make billions in the office.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM

Hey Jax, since Beal has "no chance", what odds would you like to offer me (I'll take Beal), and for how much?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM

IMO this is dick waving at it's finest. I mean these are all guys that could arrange a private game with "rich fish" every night of the week, and be huge EV in every game.

I'll bet there would be some people willing to pay these guys (on top of the money that they will lose) just to play with them for a few hours.

I don't know how to figure out how much of a favorite they are over Beal, but I don't think it would be much, and there are definetly better spots for everyone involved.

If they do this, I will lose a lot of respect for them... but I will watch.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Another thing to think about is this event in terms of relativity: him putting up $20million could be analagous to someone else putting up $20 - and even if you didn't have the best of it, who wouldn't do a $20 freeze-out with the top pro's?

Not to mention the random publicity and bragging rights if he could make it happen.... He's invariably not the favorite, but I don't believe he's going to be a complete mark either.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM

I'd hate to see the pros get busted in this....i guess they figure they have the ability and roll to sustain this action but it's just SOOOO high stakes, one bad run of cards and this is going to be brutal.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Perhaps my comment about Beal having "no chance" were ill-considered, though I would reserve judgment on that until we see what the "terms" are. Seems to me that the game(s), limits, rules, etc. will dictate his chances more than any relative skill. Even if he is only a marginal dog in any given session to Doyle & Crew I don't see how he comes out on top when all is said and done (given that the end game is one side down $40M).

Also, in my experience, very successful people don't obtain that success by treating $100 bills like Charmin.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Beal is a very smart mathematician and has held his own against the pros on occasions in the past. It is unlikely that the pros edge is significant enough to outpace the variance of playing heads-up at these extremely high stakes (in relation to their bankroll).

Beal knows this and has been trying to goad them into playing for stakes that will expose them to ruin. I am not sure on what stakes they agreed exactly.... but to think that the pros have a 2 to 1 edge, for example, is ludicrous.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Jax, since Beal has "no chance", what odds would you like to offer me (I'll take Beal), and for how much?

Dogmeat

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in as well.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:29 PM

I think Doyle said he would never play at the previous high stakes of 100k/200k or maybe it was 50k/100k. It almost ruined the corporation last time. I think 30k/60k is the highest the pros are willing to go. There may be a lot of homes for sale in Summerlin after this - lol.