Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 02:57 PM

Default 40-80 live: AJs in BB

I was in AC last Thursday night till Friday morning. This hand came up about 2 hours into the session.

I was dealt AdJd in BB. CO is loose aggressive btf and otf (let's call him Larry). Button is a young gun that just sat down and was receiving comments like "you play too conservatively" and "you always win".

Larry open raised, and young gun reraised. I called. 3 to the flop.

flop was A95 two spades. i bet out, got raised in two places fairly smoothly. what's my action?

Kenny
Old 03-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: 40-80 live: AJs in BB

I dont really care how loose aggressive the original raiser is before the flop or how squeaky clean the image is of the young gun, you can find better spots to get your money in. And then on the flop you dont have enough evidence that when the kid 3 bets he doesnt have you beat? what does he have the kq of spades exactly?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Easy fold. One has AK/Q other has 99 or KQspades
Old 03-28-2005, 03:43 PM

CO could easily have a weaker A. Button is obviously a problem. The table talk doesn't give much of a read other than he might be a decent player. A decent player could well 3-bet this flop with KK-TT. In fact, I'd say that a good player might well NOT have 3 bet that flop with AK or AA -- i.e., the flop 3 bet often shows weakness, not strength. I think the best line is either just to fold to the flop 3 bet or to call down.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:10 PM

the flop 3 bet often shows weakness, not strength.

hmmmmm...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
the flop 3 bet often shows weakness, not strength. I think the best line is either just to fold to the flop 3 bet or to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hocky,

you are not far from the truth. I folded and it went check/check on turn. river Larry bet out and got called by the button's A2o.

at the end of the night, button cashed out about 3 rack's of winnings (not that it matters). i didn't see anymore bad plays (or good plays) like this from him.

Kenny
Old 03-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Why didn't you check-raise the flop? Admittedly, you would've been in a tough spot if you checked and then faced two cold. But if you successfully check-raise the button I think you win this hand.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you check-raise the flop? Admittedly, you would've been in a tough spot if you checked and then faced two cold. But if you successfully check-raise the button I think you win this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is precisely the question i asked myself and got myself into thinking. good point, thanks.

Kenny
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in AC last Thursday night till Friday morning. This hand came up about 2 hours into the session.

I was dealt AdJd in BB. CO is loose aggressive btf and otf (let's call him Larry). Button is a young gun that just sat down and was receiving comments like "you play too conservatively" and "you always win".

Larry open raised, and young gun reraised. I called. 3 to the flop.

flop was A95 two spades. i bet out, got raised in two places fairly smoothly. what's my action?

Kenny

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can fold, likely drawing to your two J outs (maybe) if button is that conservative, I don't think he is 3-betting here with a worse hand and at best you are drawing on AK.

Interestingly, Larry sat in my 20/40 game right to my right I believe on Friday mid afternoon and didn't play a single hand for 3 or 4 orbits. I never played with him before, and I've heard he is "good for the game", pretty nice guy as we chatted some. Is there more than one Larry that plays there (regularly)?

The 40/80 game looked good as usual, monster pots in that game and always a ton of chips on the table. Christ I have to get in there sooner than later! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Wow, reading after I posted and as I clicked submit...I was thinking about how I just said the pots in that game are huge, which indicate a hyper aggressive game and I wonder how good the fold is. Just based on the comments of the button though, I think it is a good fold...you wouldn't expect him to have A2o here...which is a good isolated play by button perhaps to relax the "too conservative" comments and gain some future action. But now you know he is capable of these moves, so bank it away in memory for future reference! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]