Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Steal situation

You are in the CO and raise with 9s8s. Button, a loose aggressive, cold calls (he can have almost any too cards, only slightly better when cold calling) and the BB, a loose passive, calls.

Flop comes Jc5d4d. Obviously a bad, drawy flop. BB checks.

Is this simply the most clear check/fold situation ever in poker or do you think it warrants a shot? Obviously not the best opposition to do this against but if they both fold 15% of the time, you show a profit by betting. Also, you still have some outs (very tainted admittedly) in case you get called. Obviously that one bet is all you put in the pot if you decide to bet unless you pick up an 8 or a 9 on the turn.

A case for check/folding would be that it may make it easier to steal on missed flops if they notice you don't autobet after a PFR.

Sorry if this is too standard.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Steal situation

I think its gonna cost you a lot to try to win this pot, and it's not worth it. Check fold imo.

Also if the button is coldcalling a lot and is a lag why raise 98s out of position in the first place?

-Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 11:15 AM

First of all, I wouldn't raise 98s from the CO against the opponents you mention. I want there to be a chance that I will steal the blinds. Based on your description you are looking at a 3-way pot most of the time with the worst hand. Quite possibly you will face a 3-bet from the button, forcing more chips in the middle with utter mediocrity.

Since you decided to play this, I would always bet this flop against 2 players. This flop is pretty ragged aside from the 2-flush. I'm not too worried about someone holding a straight draw since they would have to be holding cards like 32, 86, 63, etc... Since only 1 broadway card is showing, it is likely that everyone missed this flop and you will pick it up enough times with a flop bet to warrant one.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also if the button is coldcalling a lot and is a lag why raise 98s out of position in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding! We have a winner [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-28-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Gotta have a talk about this with that autopilot guy [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you decided to play this, I would always bet this flop against 2 players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even though I am not last to act?

Btw. Spydog, earlier today I was searching for a thread you started a month or two ago about how you were doing against certain player types but I couldn't find it. Do you remember the title of it? Or can you tell me your method?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you decided to play this, I would always bet this flop against 2 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I am not last to act? Only because I think you take the pot down at least 1 in 7 times with this flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Btw. Spydog, earlier today I was searching for a thread you started a month or two ago about how you were doing against certain player types but I couldn't find it. Do you remember the title of it? Or can you tell me your method?

[/ QUOTE ]

Player Type Post