Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 03:32 AM

Default value betting with a flush or checkraise on the river?

The title says it all, Would you bet this river or try to checkraise? This has been a question I've been having lately, when hands like these come up. Is it better to go for double bets or to just lead and secure a few bets? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 03-28-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: value betting with a flush or checkraise on the river?

Check/raise and it isn't even close imo. Given the action, it will be tough for anyone to think that you (or MP3) have a flush here. It is def. worth the risk here to get those two bets.

Brad
Old 03-28-2005, 03:52 AM

this is the best way to get the most out of .5/1

take advantage of the few aggressives at the .5/1 tables
i have definitely been taken advantage of when i played. i know that sounds funny but yeah. basically the other player would make me think i was value betting him and then destroy me for another bet.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 AM

I don't get this at all.

I would bet/call this river. I could see MP3 having Ax [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. If you check/raise are you opening yourself up to facing a 3bet if he has the bigger flush? I think the BB might have a overpair or TPTK even 2 pair and is trying to charge anyone on the flush draw.

But I know Shillx is right he always is. I just don't understand why. No joke someone explain it to me plz. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 04:04 AM

I could see MP3 having Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Anyone who thinks he has this hand needs to take two spoonfulls of reality and wash it down with some yeah right juice.

And that is the beautiful thing about a check/raise though. If the action goes check-bet-call we know that he doesn't have a flush and we pop it for value. If it goes bet-raise we have a really tough choice to make and it depends on the read. So even if we do coldcall and lose 2 bets, it is no worse then us betting out and calling a raise. But when we have the best hand, we also get two bets (from each player) by check/raising where we only get one should we lead out and get called.

Brad
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 AM

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I want to say I understand now but I don't think I do.

What if hero checks, BB checks, mp3 bets, hero raises, BB folds, and mp3 reraises. It is tough for me to admit this but I don't get it yet. I will, it's just going to take me some time. I have just seen my low flushes get beat often so I slow down with them. I'm sure your line is the best one just hard to change a habit/fear.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I want to say I understand now but I don't think I do.

What if hero checks, BB checks, mp3 bets, hero raises, BB folds, and mp3 reraises. It is tough for me to admit this but I don't get it yet. I will, it's just going to take me some time. I have just seen my low flushes get beat often so I slow down with them. I'm sure your line is the best one just hard to change a habit/fear.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the action goes check-check-bet then I like calling here. By calling, we get 1 BB when the blind overcalls as he most surely will. If we raise and fold out the BB we win the same number of bets by overcalling if we have the best hand. But when we have the worst hand we lose an extra TWO bets compared to just calling (if we pay off the 3-bet). So in this case calling is better then raising. So again if the action goes...

Check-bet-call or Check-bet-fold = We raise
Check-check-bet = We call
Check bet-raise = We curse

Brad
Old 03-28-2005, 04:27 AM

I think check-check-check would also be deserving of a curse.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:28 AM

Now that makes sense to me. This has pointed out a flaw of mine. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 AM

This is a bit off topic, but I'm curious about the flop play. Is the 3-bet good here? Do you want BB and MP2 to have to cold call (seems like trying to get them out)? Or do you call the raise and try to keep them in the hand? I'm not really sure how to handle this myself, so I'm wondering what you all think.