Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Anyone bet this river?

Does anyone bet this river? I had a bad feeling when the BB called my flop raise and then led out again that he hit a straight.
I could see him betting a straight draw since we were heads up. I min raised the flop, then he led out again when a possible straight hit. I raised him again (fairly good sized this time) and he still called.

Am I seeing monsters under the bed. Is this -Ev to check behind here? I mean he could have any number of different hands in the BB
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Button ($506)
SB ($167.1)
BB ($499.2)
UTG ($716.3)
Hero ($989.8)
UTG+2 ($217.3)
MP1 ($346.9)
MP2 ($184)
MP3 ($375.3)
CO ($413.1)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, BB calls $6.

Turn: ($34) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, BB calls $28.

River: ($114) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $114
Old 03-27-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Anyone bet this river?

If he has the straight I'm sure he bets the river since he's first to act. I still bet that river since there's only one hand he could have that beats you since it's unlikely he played 4 2 or KK that way.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:55 PM

really bad river, raise flop more or just call
Old 03-27-2005, 08:27 PM

Whats so bad about the river?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:37 PM

looks like a weaker made hand to me, like a pair, or two pair, maybe he has a set but i don't know how you can be so sure that you arne't betting th virtual nuts here
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 PM

I would bet $75 on the river for value. If he hit a straight on the turn why wouldn't he reraise you?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:53 PM

Hmmm... do you usually play QQ slow out of position, pre-flop? I also don't like the flop minraise; I'd raise to about $18. The only thing that worries me about your opponent is that he called the turn bet. But I think he has the case Q, maybe with another spade, or two pair. His play just smells of second-best hand in this case.

Value bet the river for about 1/2 the pot, or whatever you'd be willing to call. I think he'll call you down with second best hand.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 PM

I believe I was at your table when this hand happened. You're not worried about the river card, but more the turn 3, correct? I think you were let off easy, in a sense, because he whiffed his c/r on the river with the nut straight. I would have probably put him on two pair or a little set, although that sneaky straight would be in the back of my mind. I don't necessarily like your check on the river, but it did ultimately save you some moolah on this particular hand.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:57 PM

The BB had 74 and did hit the straight at the turn. How I knew it, i dont know , but I had a bad feeling. Theres just not that many players who bet the flop..get raised and call...then bet the turn again.....then he called another raise.

This guy didnt seem to be a bad player and I didnt want to get check raised big on the river. He might check raise me with KQ, a smller set...or the straight.

I saved alot of money this time, but it may be that I just play too passively at the river. Im not sure.

I heard "DANGER WILL ROBINSON" in the back of my head.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:39 AM

Regardless of the outcome, you played this hand bad...I don't like your play pre-flop or on the flop, but i'm not gonna get into that.

If you don't bet this river, you are leaving a ton of money on the table....You should bet and then reraise any raise....You have the 4th nuts here and there are a ton of hands villian can have that you beat.

You dodged a major bullet here because your failure to raise pre-flop should have doubled your opponent up!