Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Bet on the river for value????

Please let me know if you think I should have bet this hand on the river - Do I need to 'man up' and start betting these types of hands on the river?-

Both players involved in the hand were LAG maniacs, but both were actually winning pretty big over about 50 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (16.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Old 03-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Bet on the river for value????

Looks like MP3 just bought himself a free river.
I'm agressive, I'd 3-bet the turn here. Since you are new here, why do you tell me why I would do that, I'd like to hear your point of view.

But I don't see how you could consider a value bet on the river, that makes no sense.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 PM

you should probably stop the action at you, because people will see the checks and that will taint your response. I'd probably check call MP3s bet.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:48 PM

If this were heads up, i'd definitely check. If he's bluffing, let him continue. With that board, I don't think I'd checkraise.If you bet and he raises, i think you have to call given your read on him.
The fact that you potentially have an overcaller in the hand as well makes betting out seem a little more attractive, though, and makes a river checkraise a much worse play.
Given the turn action, though, I think there's a good chance that you're either way behind or against a bluff and so I think I'd check/call and hope mp2 comes along as well.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:07 PM

-TT

I'm looking at your advice to 3 bet the turn - and looking back over the hand, I think a 3 bet would be justified because of the 3rd player in the hand - calling along for the ride - getting in additional bets in from him can't be a bad thing -

I'm probably missing something else here - please feel free to enlighten me - as I am fairly new to poker overall, and esp limit - (only about 3000 hands of limit on PP) - I'm off to Easter dinner, but I'll look for any response when i get back later tonight
thanks