Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Set on a coordinated board

I ran into two situations today where I had a set, but the board was pretty coordinated. How should I be handling this type of situation?

SB is a loose, semi-aggressive player. I've been value betting against him very successfully.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls.

I called here, hoping for some over-calls. This table has been calling lots, so I'm very surprised everyone folds. Should I be raising because of the possible flush draw?

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (18.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB

I'll post the results later.

Thanks for your help!

Kong98
Old 03-27-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Set on a coordinated board

DO NOT GO FOR OVERCALLS BEFORE THE RIVER.

The fact the board is coordinated times two makes this even worse.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:18 PM

Your set can be very vulnerable, but it is probably the best hand right now. Anybody with a single 5 has an OESD, and there's a two-flush.

You've got the opportunity to play your set extremely fast on the flop, do so. You are only behind to 52 and 57 right now. You've got to charge the draws the absolute most to play against you.

On the turn, I'd call down from the 3-bet onward. UTG+1 doesn't look like he's going anywhere, and the SB still seems like he likes his hand. You've still got outs to improve to a boat, so raising isn't that bad either.

I'd call the river, rather than raise. There's a good chance you will be 1) worse or 2) 3-bet. SB isn't going to fold.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:22 PM

Why are you capping the turn when any 5 makes a straight? Never slowplay or go for overcalls when there are seven people in on a flop. If they are real calling stations then they will call your 3bet anyway. When the pot gets big you must maximize your chance of winning it. Do not worry about getting more money in the pot, there already is a lot of money in the pot.

Even a single [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is a threat to you because the board can go runner runner on you and you lose to the backdoor flush. And a lot of bad players will call a 2 bet with a single A K Q or even J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a pot this big. But even they will be leary of calling 3 bets cold.

I would also just call on the River.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Thanks guys! You're right on each street. When I read your posts its so obvious, but in the heat of battle my little brain was just saying "set! set! set!".

SB has Tc 5s (straight, six high).
Hero has 6s 6c (three of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: SB wins 22.50 BB.

I appreciate your help!

Kong98