Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Why even play?

Seriously, why play? If you're running good, you know it's not going to last and you're going to hit a downswing and 60% of your winnings (if not more) will be gone. On the other hand, if you're in a current downswing, what makes you want to play more? For all you know you could still be in the downswing.

So what motivates you to keep playing?

And don't say money, for the micro-limit players there, sometimes it's not worth it to play for all the frustration there is.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Why even play?

how did you make that money in the first place? ... that's why.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Sometimes I feel like it's not even worth it.

This is coming from a micro-limit player who has yet to go on a massive downswing. (up 5.xxbb/100 over 3500 although was at 7.xx after 2500) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I feel like when I finally go on a downswing, all reason for playing stops existing.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I feel like it's not even worth it.

This is coming from a micro-limit player who has yet to go on a massive downswing. (up 5.xxbb/100 over 3500 although was at 7.xx after 2500) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I feel like when I finally go on a downswing, all reason for playing stops existing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped taking your meds again?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 PM

My primary reason for playing is to make money. This was the reason I started playing the game it's the main reason I keep going.

However, there are other benefits to playing. I enjoy the challenge. I strive on the emotions that I feel when I play, whether it be great joy when I'm winning big or anger and frustration when I'm losing.

Dealing with downswings has to be the most difficult thing a poker player has to do. I'm in the middle of a 250 BB downswing. This is the worse downswing I've ever had, and it's occuring at the worse possible time - immediately after I left my job to play poker for a living. I've never felt so frustrated about poker, but I still have that desire to play.

You might think that's nuts, but I'm putting it in this perspective: Things are going bad now, but variance has a way of turning things around. I'm looking forward to the opposite of this downswing. The time when I hit every draw, every other pocket pair hits a set and I just can't lose.

These emotional swings are a part of life. They make us human and feel alive. I'll admit that I'm struggling with the frustration, but having these feelings will make the positive feelings so much better. How can you appreciate the good times if you've never experienced the bad?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:44 PM

Good reply PokerAce, it's helping me a bit too =)

I'm in a 160BB swing for the first time and I find it difficult to think that it will turn around although my previous play (and bankroll) indicates it should... I'm getting an opportunity to focus more on refining my play during the swing so it's probably not all bad.

I hope you get back in the game, especially since just making such a big move to play for a living - best of luck mate.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Stick your head out of the window. See that woman walking her dog? The two old men talking about the weather?

The reason you'll keep playing is because huge chunks of life is boring, and poker rarely is. Even if you suffer poker burnout (and it sounds like you are) at one time or another, you'll be back playing it within a month.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're running good, you know it's not going to last and you're going to hit a downswing and 60% of your winnings (if not more) will be gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? what kind of monstrous downswings are you talking about?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:05 AM

It sounds like you are a microlimit player on the internet. If that is the case, you may indeed be wasting your time. Are you doing it to learn ? Thats the only reason to play microlimits on the internet. Are you trying to grind out $2/hr ? If so I hope you live in a third world country.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:08 AM

You need to get out of the kiddie pool and start making some moves.

-SmileyEH