Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 01:33 PM

Default going broke with big aces

This is a situation I often encounter in NL tournaments and SNG's.

I'm in second place with about 2,000 chips, blinds are 50/100. I get AK, raise 4x BB, and get 1 caller, who has about 1400 chips (1000 after calling). The flop is all rags.

Now, some people say check/fold here. The problem is, with AK, you're only going to hit the flop about a third of the time. So, if you fold whenever you miss, you're effectively giving your opponent 2:1 odds on you're pre-flop bet. That doesn't sound too bright to me, so I think you need to bet.

I bet 500 chips, he goes all-in. I'm getting 5:1 odds with 6 outs. I have to call. He shows pocket 8's, and I don't improve. Now I'm down to 600 chips and the blinds are going up to 75/150.

How do I keep from going broke with big aces? Should I just limp or min raise with them?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: going broke with big aces

Or you can check when you're out of position with nothing.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:46 PM

You answered your own question I think, this is to avoid a situation like this where u are commited with Ace high, that people prefer not to bet on the flop.

Personally I raise 4BB (or all in if I have less than 10BB andnobody is short stack enough to make it worth a fold) and then will probably check fold when I miss.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I check, what do I do whaen he bets, fold?

Why should I raise the flop if I'm going to check/fold 2/3 of the time? That seems like giving money away. If I'm going to fold when I miss the flop, then wouldn't I be better off just limping in?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:50 PM

At what point in the tournament are you at? It's not clear from the post.

Anyway, if you are going to be forced to call a re-raise from this player then there is no reason not to make that very clear by putting them all-in with your original bet. A 1000 bet on the flop into a ~1000 pot is not out of line. You probably get called in this case (depending on what the rags are).

But at this point, facing the raise I may lay it down here depending on what type of read I had on the player. It takes a special player to raise all-in on the bubble (I'm assuming we're on the bubble) with absolutely nothing vs a preflop raiser who bets the flop strong. And at this point there is a big difference between having a stack of 10BB vs one of 5BB.

But in general I am a strong believer in the continuation bet.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I raise the flop if I'm going to check/fold 2/3 of the time? That seems like giving money away. If I'm going to fold when I miss the flop, then wouldn't I be better off just limping in?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no pat answer here. You need to consider the player, the board, stack sizes, postition, etc.
Also, you need to balance your play with AK with your play with large pairs. For example, if you raise in EP with AK and get called by the button, a check after the flop should not give away your hand. You have to check KK here sometimes (not often) to cover the times you check with AK.

Paul
Old 03-25-2005, 02:03 PM

AK is a much better limit hand than NL. IMHO, it is vastly overrated because of situations like these where your opponent can destroy your odds to draw with a single bet. In limit you can call down til the river in most cases, but in NL EP it's a tough hand to play. Don't feel you HAVE to play a certain way.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:16 PM

You can not raise with AK in SNGs. Unless it's a push. Everyone should try it sometime.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no pat answer here. You need to consider the player, the board, stack sizes, postition, etc.
Also, you need to balance your play with AK with your play with large pairs. For example, if you raise in EP with AK and get called by the button, a check after the flop should not give away your hand. You have to check KK here sometimes (not often) to cover the times you check with AK.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but if this is the first time I played with him, at the most I had AA or KK once, and maybe not at all. He won't know how I would play it, and will probably take my check as a sign of weakness, and bet out with any two cards.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can not raise with AK in SNGs. Unless it's a push. Everyone should try it sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense, but i think this is just wrong. is there a time to limp with AK? I've read some good arguments for it, but personally I always raise with it in an unraised pot. Raptor likes to play it as a drawing hand and limps and he's very good, and alot of other good players insist you have to raise.

The way I like to play it, especially in early position is to raise something like 2.5 BB instead of 4, then if the flop misses you you can check fold if you think you are against a made hand and a big bet, or bet if you are against a weak opponent or ahead. But by keeping the pot small-ish PF it gives you the ability to either conserve chips, or win the pot with a smaller bets on the flop, etc.

I personally don't get the "i have to play AK for all my chips" school of thought nor the "i don't want to play for any chips" camp - i think its somewhere in the middle.

JMHO