Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Not a fan of how i played this...tell me why

UTG raiser, although i do not have stats on him (new at table) has raised 5 out of the last 10 hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (11.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls (thinking if he is drawing dead).

River: (15.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 19.20 BB
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Not a fan of how i played this...tell me why

3bet preflop? Not super important for the rest of the hand, but a question I had anyways.

I love the flop raise, but not the flop cap because the other two hands folded. The rest of the hand I like just fine.

So lets assume you decided to call the flop reraise instead of capping. How do you play out the hand if he leads the turn?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:02 PM

I'm a little iffy on the turn bet after BB's flop 3-bet in a huge multiway pot..he doesn't have AK/AQ and he doesn't have a big flush draw (unless its KcQc)..when he checks the turn bells go off...i 3-bet this preflop
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So lets assume you decided to call the flop reraise instead of capping. How do you play out the hand if he leads the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

call
Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM

the cold caller between us changed it from a 3-bet to a CC. not sure why.

after he checked the turn i thought maybe he did have overcards...blah whole hand is a mess
Old 03-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Preflop: I dont like calling 2 cold in mp with that hand; easy 3bet but I could possibly be convinced otherwise by game conditions.

Flop: Good raise, bad cap.

EDIT: The cap wouldnt have been bad if it was for a freecard on the turn assuming you are behind to at least a jack (but more likely an overpair), His check on the turn should not, then, be percieved as weakness but as a logical attempt at a checkraise and you cannot imediately assume that your T is good when checked to. Everything he has done up to this point screams: "I have a pair of tens beat on this turn, please bet it for me."

Turn: I think this is a spot where you are likely still behind and by betting you are just reducing your odds to hit your flush on the river when raised. If he has a hand like AK he is now only drawing to 3 kings so not betting the turn isnt that bad the times that you are ahead.

River: Perfect.

-Brad
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 PM

I probably threebet preflop. I don't mind the flop cap terribly IF you take your free card on the turn, which you didn't. The turn bet was awful since you could have taken a free card, with some potential additional outs now. River, standard...what are you doing if threebet thought?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...what are you doing if threebet thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going to step out on a limp and say: calling.

-Brad
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 PM

i wanted to take the free card i did....but then i am like...oh crap let me just win it right here. bad idea.

me no run good me no play good.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Am I the only one not thrilled about the flop raise?

BB has high-pocket written all over him, it seems likely that UTG and MP are calling the flop just to see a cheap turn, but are probably not going to call two more back to them after BB does his inevitable 3-bet. I think the chances that BB 3-bets are at least more than 50%, and that you lose UTG and MP are greater than that -- so I don't think the flop raise is for value or you get a free card or anythin'.

Of course, if BB had just called, the other two had called, you took your free card on the turn, and then you sucked out on BB's AK on the river with the flush, I'd be calling you a genius. Just saying that before I finished reading the hand, I thought the flop raise was a little iffy. Maybe it's okay, but you need to spend a couple seconds considering the likelihood that BB 3-bets and you lose the other two guys.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I almost always raise the flop here as well. Because That's What You Do when you're in position and are drawing to the nut flush against three opponents. Just wondering whether it's right in this instance given the circumstances.

And please, take the free card on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].