Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Live 4/8 hand. Missed opportunity?

Live 4/8 game in NYC. UTG is a young Asian guy who seems okay but who is definitely on tilt. His hands have been getting cracked all night long. MP is a 2+2er and a very good player. LP is a loose, calling station.
I'm in the BB when UTG posts a live straddle. I'm dealt 7h9h.
MP calls the two bets, as does the player to her left, and the LP player. I call the extra bet and now UTG raises. We all call and on one hand I'm thinking, "Now we've got a nice multiway pot for three bets" and, on the other, "What am I doing here with this stupid hand?" Four of us see the flop.
3 6 8 rainbow.
UTG is reaching for his chips and I check. UTG bets, we all call.
Turn: 10
I start reaching for chips and UTG bets out of turn. I say, "Wait a sec, I haven't acted yet." I bet and everyone calls.
River: J
I lead, UTG calls with a sigh, 2+2er folds, guy to her left folds, LP calls. MHIG.
On the flop I could have led out. I could have checkraised. Who does which and why?
Did I miss an opportunity to checkraise the turn? Or was my line the right one? Comments please.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Live 4/8 hand. Missed opportunity?

I'd checkraise, especially since UTG was ready to bet, you could trap anyone who calls UTGs bet for 2 bets with the nuts.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:17 PM

Yeah, you missed an opportunity to check-raise the turn. With UTG looking to be out there, and on tilt, it's likely he was going to bet the turn if he didn't encounter resistence, so I don't so much like a check-raise on the flop, though it can be debated.

Next time, let him bet out of turn and get yourself a few more BBs.

-d
Old 03-24-2005, 01:25 PM

flop's ok, but not checkraising the turn is like burning money.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 PM

I would have checkraised the field on the flop for value.Since you didn't...On the turn when you see him betting out of turn b/f you acted, I would have just acted like it didn't matter cause I was checking. Then checkraise the whole goddamn field. The other thing is...why we're you reaching for chips in the first place. This checkraise seems like a no-brainer.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 PM

you need to c/r the turn cuz of the fact everyone will prolly call the UTG's bet and then will call ur raise. mo money, my friend
Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I start reaching for chips and UTG bets out of turn. I say, "Wait a sec, I haven't acted yet." I bet and everyone calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Part of playing live games is using this stuff to your advantage. I was playing at the mirage last week and flopped top set from UTG after raising preflop. BB bets, before I can do anything an MP player behind me announces "raise." I call, he raises, 3 calls, I 3 bet. You have to take advantage of that kind of thing when it arises.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Part of playing live games is using this stuff to your advantage. I was playing at the mirage last week and flopped top set from UTG after raising preflop. BB bets, before I can do anything an MP player behind me announces "raise." I call, he raises, 3 calls, I 3 bet. You have to take advantage of that kind of thing when it arises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good comment, Evan, and one that I agree with. If I could reply this hand I would definitely c/r the turn. It just happened so quickly that I didn't slow down for a second to use my head before I thew the chips out.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:26 PM

Why wouldn't you plan to checkraise this turn even without the extra information?

Jeff
Old 03-24-2005, 05:53 PM

the only time i woudln't c/r that turn is if there is now 2 to a flush. then i'd bet and hope that utg raises you.

stealthcow-