Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Default betting out with UI overs on the flop

How often do you guys find yourselves betting a flop that you raised preflop when it is checked to you? I find myself doing it nearly 100% of the time, and I'm not sure if this is correct. It's of course ok to bet when you hit, but when you have unimproved big cards(i.e. AK, AQ even KQ) how often should I really be betting?

Here is my thinking:
If the board is a 3 flush that I don't have a piece of it my bet is going to fold any people who didn't get a piece of the flop and I know I won't be able to take heat from raises, so if I get raised I can get out now, before I spend too much.

If the board is a 3 flush that I do have a part of, I have a draw to a flush that is almost a definite winner, so I'll still bet, and figure out by my opponents actions if he has the flush already or hit something else.

If the board is three high cards that are straigtening, I'll probably have overs with an inside striaght draw. Giving me six outs for top pair plus the extra 4 for my nut straight, so I'll go ahead and fire at this one too.

If the board is paired, most likely no one else will have a piece of the flop, and my overs are probably still good. So I'll take a stab at this one too, unless the pair is something like jacks or queens, in which case someone could have a piece.

If the board looks tame and it is checked to me, I think that it will fold to my bet enough times that a bet is in order. If I do happen to get any callers, I still have six outs to catch anyone who actually hit a hand and is not drawing.

Also, when does it come time to stop betting? If I bet out on the flop and get a couple of callers, so long as those players aren't particularly tight, i'll bet again. I think too many players call on party 2/4 without having any hand on the flop.

I think I may be overaggressive with unimproved big cards, and its a hole that any knowledgable player can exploit. I know a lot of people are probably going to say "post hands" and I will, but I was wondering if there were any general guidelines anyone follows.