Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Default 99 in CO - laggy chip-spewing?

I had been running spectacularly bad at this table, down 30BB or something like that in 150 hands (yeah... I'm sure it is possible to do worse), when this hand took place.

Villain is very loose VP$IP around 50% of all hands, but he doesn't raise often pre-flop (PFR < 10%). He will bet draws and over-cards on the flop, I haven't seen him 3-bet with them and I haven't seen him semi-bluff the turn... haven't seen him stop-n-go either. I have raised/betted the flop and then checked-through the turn in a couple of hands earlier at the same table.

Interpoker 2/4 (6-handed)

I have 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in CO.

Pre-flop:
UTG folds, MP folds, I raise, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB calls, I cap, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop (11SB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, I raise, SB calls.

Turn (7.5BB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets, I fold.

I figured I was beaten here... how about it?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: 99 in CO - laggy chip-spewing?

looks okay. I might call down here thinking he might bet the turn with AK or AJ, since he's got the overcards to the ten and the gutshot, but he's probably got you beat.

WJ
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM

I wouldn't cap preflop, the rest of the hand looks fine.

WTF is with the BB folding preflop?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't cap preflop, the rest of the hand looks fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm experimenting a bit with capping or staying at 3-bets both in and out of position.

[ QUOTE ]

WTF is with the BB folding preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 01:57 PM

The BB folded for one more bet preflop? Wow.

I don't like capping with 9s preflop either, but OK, that is not that important.

First, it is wicked awesome you supplied all of this read information. Now we can actually make a decision about the hand. Everybody should do this when they post hands.

This is a really, really tough spot-- when you say you haven't seen him semi-bluff the turn, do you mean semi-bluff raise or bet out-semi-bluff? Some guys won't semi-bluff raise but they will semi-bluff bet out. I like how you said that you have been raising the flop and checking through on the turn in a couple of hands earlier. That is a key piece of information which lends more weight to him having a made hand.

From your description and your reads and everything I think we can put the villian on either a Q or possibly some sort of draw big draw. You are getting around 5:1 on a call down.

Ok-- we need one more piece of information. Do you think this guy is one of those loose players who plays pretty well postflop? Do you think that he knows better than to bet A high unimproved on the river, specifically?

Because if you do know, then you might have a plan: You can call the turn and fold the river if he bets again. A good player knows not to bet a hand like AcKc or something on the river unimproved so if he bets again, he has you beat and you can fold. Of course he might also have KcJc or KJo or something, which he may or may not bet again. Hmm.

So, I guess I don't know. I would probably call the turn and call a blank river too in the heat of battle. It depends on how confident I was that this guy was a straight-up no-semi-bluff sort of guy. Folding seems pretty prudent though. Tough spot. I think either folding or calling the turn and river or calling the turn and folding the river are all OK. I like calling the turn and folding the river and folding right away the best, but I wouldn't kick myself over calling both either.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First, it is wicked awesome you supplied all of this read information. Now we can actually make a decision about the hand. Everybody should do this when they post hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing only one table helps... with the reads at least, not sure about the results. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

This is a really, really tough spot-- when you say you haven't seen him semi-bluff the turn, do you mean semi-bluff raise or bet out-semi-bluff? Some guys won't semi-bluff raise but they will semi-bluff bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen him bluff both on the turn and river but I'm pretty sure it was in situations when the previous street was checked through or someone lead a raggy flop and then checked the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

Ok-- we need one more piece of information. Do you think this guy is one of those loose players who plays pretty well postflop? Do you think that he knows better than to bet A high unimproved on the river, specifically?

[/ QUOTE ]

He seemed to play better than the norm at Interpoker 1/2 and 2/4. I don't think he made any stupid call-downs with undercards and a gut-shot in a small pot or stuff like that.
Hmm... yes... I think he probably won't bet an unimproved A on the river but at the same time I also think he probably wouldn't have lead the turn with only overcards... maybe with AcKc. Bleh, I can't put percentages on the probably:s.

[ QUOTE ]

Because if you do know, then you might have a plan: You can call the turn and fold the river if he bets again. A good player knows not to bet a hand like AcKc or something on the river unimproved so if he bets again, he has you beat and you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan for similar situations in the future. Thanks.