Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Outplayed?

4/8 live, wild table, villain raises or limp re-raises ~1/4 hands preflop, has been making fairly aggressive raises and getting bailed out on the river a time or two. regularly 4 to the flop for 3+ bets.

UTG folds, I(UTG+1) look down and see 9c,9h, i raise, two cold calls to my immediate left, SB and BB both call

flop- Kd, 6c, 3h, checked to me, i bet, utg+2 calls, villain raises, blinds call, i raise, called around

turn- Qh, checked to me, i bet, utg+2 calls, villain raises, blinds call, i disgustedly throw my cards away

river- blank, checked to villain who bets, blinds fold, utg+2 calls, villain shows 88, and takes down the pot

knowing this was a wild table, and that villain in particular had rather low standards, should i have check called this down?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Outplayed?

This fold seems fine given you still have 4 opponents and two overcards on the turn.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Outplayed?

These games can be very frustrating when you throw away a winner like this. In hindsight check-calling looks really good here but if you play every hand like that (real passive) it can be a problem if the situation isn't right. Sounds like as long as the other players aren't raising you have to start playing some check-call against the villian as this is usually a good counterstrategy to overaggressiveness.