Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 PM

Default This bastage checkraised my river value bet!

4 handed, villain (loose but not ridiculously so) and i both have $1100

i raise utg w/ AQ, sb and bb (villain) call

flop is Q46r

checked to me, i bet $90, BB calls.

turn is a 5. he checks, i check, since at this point its highly likely he has a PP like 77-JJ or kq, qj, q10, q9 but he'll fold if i bet, so i'll give him a shot at his two or three outer so that he has to check call my river bet which should look like a bluffing AK or something else that missed.

river ($290) 5, board: Q4655. He checks. I bet $200, sure that 77-jj or a worse queen will call here.

Unfortunately, he check raised it to $600. Like I said, this guy is loose and bad but not horrendous, so I'm almost positive at this point he has a worse queen or a pocket pair. I feel like he might checkraise w/ a worse queen or missed PP thinking that I'm bluffing (since i checked the turn) but not realizing that there's no point in raising since i only call if i beat him.

i also think he would have to lead w/ a set of 4s or 6s since i checked the turn, and he can't risk my checking behind the river, however, since that mistake would be equally stupid as checkraising with what he thinks the best hand is, i can't be sure what he's got.

so, again, i'm pretty sure it's a pp that missed or a worse queen, but it could be a set. i've got about $600 left, so after the $400 call, i've got $200 left, and i figure i might as well push for that last amount since, at this point, he's gotta call with a worse queen or missed pp.

any thoughts on this line of reasoning? thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: This bastage checkraised my river value bet!

looks like 53 to me
Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM

TPTK is not usually a trapping hand except possibly on the flop but not on the turn for sure, since so many more possibilities can open up for the other hand. A bet on the turn and if that was called, then a check back on the river would have been correct unless you helped your hand.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TPTK is not usually a trapping hand except possibly on the flop but not on the turn for sure, since so many more possibilities can open up for the other hand. A bet on the turn and if that was called, then a check back on the river would have been correct unless you helped your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree that a turn bet is necessary, or even a good idea. this is a case where i'm either way ahead (he's drawing to at most three outs) or drawing dead (if he's got a set). if i bet the turn, i let weaker queens and medium pp's off the hook, if i check teh turn, they have to call the river to keep me honest.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:11 PM

What makes you think he is folding a queen here. If if he does you still win, why get fancy with a vulnerable hand.

I'll specifically play marginal hands vs someone who checks the turn and pays on the river. I only go to showdown when I bust them with my 2-5 outer.