Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Starting Out

I want to begin seriously playing online and am looking for advice. I have been playing holdem for four years now in small card rooms and home games in my area. I have read lots of poker literature and consider myself one of the, if not the, best player in my small corner of the universe.

A couple months ago I pissed away $100 on Party Poker playing above my skill level and screwing around basically. I recognize now I need to start at a lower level and take it easy to become a better player.

Read: I am not looking to make a fortune right away. I want to take the route which will better my skills over time and not one which would involve playing 10 tables at small levels to make a nice amount of money. I want to become a BETTER poker player.

What do you all recommend? What site would you start out using etc? I have an account with PP. My buddy just sent me a deal with Pacific Poker which would allow me to deposit $50+ and receive twice that PLUS $50 more. I don't know of any other bonus deals so those would be appreciated as well.

Also, I saw this on Bonus Whores (I went there before coming here but decided to ask you guys).
What is this guy using to get those numbers/percentages?

http://www.bonuswhores.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6962

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Starting Out

You're in a bit of a pickle. Since you're bankroll is very small, you have to play very small limits. At these limits, you won't become a better player, which is your goal. You either have to:

a) deposit more money and jump right into a decent limit, say 3/6 limit or $100NL, where you can actually begin to improve your game against some half-way decent competition, or

b) start small, bonus whore and multi-table the smallest limits to get the bankroll for (a)

Anything smaller and you won't be learning much about the game. You can learn a lot by reading these fourms while you bonus whore and build up a bankroll for the higher limits. That may be your best option.

Remember: Don't play above your bankroll. And just because its .25/.50 limit or whatever, take it seriously. Every bet you lose because "its only fifty cents" is one more bet you have to make before you can move up.