Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Default AKo HU on the flop

After seeing a number of threads here about the check/call, check/call, bet, line when HU out of position, I've finally begun to understand the thinking behind that line, and I've tried to incorporate it into my game. This is not exactly one of those situations. However, this is related, and I'm curious if I was on the right track, or if I am misapplying the concept.

Villain in this hand is, after about 40 hands, 52%/10%/0.73, dice by PT's default ratings. I had watched him make some odd plays. He slowplayed trips twice, and I watched him make a desperation bet on the river on a 4 flush, A high board holding QQ, neither of the relevant suit, after someone had already woken up on the T when the 3 flush hit.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Standard PFR. Unfortunately, only one taker.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Hello there. Betting into the preflop raiser on a board he likes? I don't suspect two pair or a set, since I'd expect him to slowplay based on the earlier hands. I'm probably way ahead, but I suppose there's still a chance I'm behind a set or two pair. There's no way I'm tossing this hand. Consequently, I decided to let him keep bluffing his money away if I'm ahead, and get to showdown cheaply if I'm behind.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Same deal here. Hopefully he wasn't semibluffing an OESD, but I don't think that was the case.

River: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

OK, I'm not letting him off the hook now. I raised with the intention of calling a third bet.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: AKo HU on the flop

Ni han

His numbers and your observations don't seem like the type of person who is betting on an OESD, so the river raise is probably safe. I can only imagine him pairing his low kicker to beat you with Kx. Nicely done.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:22 PM

I'd be inclined to raise the turn. That way, you're making it wrong for, for instance, J8s to call. Also, if he 3-bets you on the flop, based on his AG number (granted, small sample), you can be pretty sure you're looking at a set or made straight. Given your read, though, I'd check down from there.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM

Based on your read, I would play this the same way.

Nice hand.

Rich
Old 03-22-2005, 05:02 PM

given what I've kind of learned by those threads this looks excellent. I need to remember to pull that move now ;p
Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM

this board is a bit hairy to let him see the river cheaply. i'd raise the turn.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this board is a bit hairy to let him see the river cheaply. i'd raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd raise the turn for value on this board. Your villain isn't incredibly likely to bluff but is pretty likely to have a worse hand and call down.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM

I really dislike the T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] falling on the turn, so I would reraise.