Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Just a Terrible Play - or is there some merit to the move?

Not looking for feedback on my play this hand (although will accept any thoughts) but I played this about as straight forward as you can.

The question has to do with what I thought was an odd play by the BB. I can see with my betting on the hand after flop, maybe he should have check raised me on the turn, but to sandbag until the river seems bizarre, is there that much to gain out of hiding the fact you just picked up a straight heading into the river?
I've hidden my cards and will instead tell you that the BB had 6h Qh
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.

River: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 6h Qh (straight, seven high).
UTG+1 has Qc 7h (three of a kind, sevens).
Hero has 4h 4c (full house, fours full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 17.25 BB. </font>
Old 03-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Just a Terrible Play - or is there some merit to the move?

I've had AA wait until the river to raise, I've had trips wait to the river after two whiffed checkraises to finally bet out. Turn is just stupid, he should have bet out hoping overpairs would call down or you'd raise.

psst, get rid of the results, it shows your hand.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM

It would have been best for BB to lead allowing everyone to call and hopefully have you raise trapping everyone between you two. If he played it that way he should not 3-bet it. Just allow the others to call one more. Then he should lead the river again IMO and repeat the process depending on how the turn played out of course. Of course the board pairing sucks for him, but I doubt a set is around on the flop or turn or they would have made some noise by now.

EDIT: LOL. I didn't even realize the results were posted. I guess you would have made "some noise" if given the opportunity [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 05:19 PM

BB should've been leading from the flop on. He could've trapped the field for bets when you raise the flop (and maybe turn) with your set.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:11 PM

It would have been best for BB to lead allowing everyone to call and hopefully have you raise trapping everyone between you two. If he played it that way he should not 3-bet it. Just allow the others to call one more

I love not 3 betting - could sill get action on the river from me and maybe nab up to 4 extra bets from the other players - thanks for the reply