Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Seat Selection

When there are many empty seats at a table, how do you pick your seat?

Do you sit directly to the left of known loose players? Or do you sit directly to the right of known tight players? Assume you can't do both, and that the table is a ten-handed table so there are many empty seats.

Which side would you rather leave empty seats? Your right or your left? For instance, if I sit directly to the left of a known loose player I might leave, say, two empty seats to my left. That means at some point in the session an unknown might sit down to my left which may or may not be bad. But if I sit directly to the right of the tight player a loose aggressive guy might sit to my right (which I generally do not like because it messes up how I play). Do you move next to the tight player or the loose player? If you have to leave empty seats, what side do you leave the empty seats?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Seat Selection

in the middle of class so i'll make this quick.

Loose passive or loose aggressive on right=good

tight passive tight aggressive on left=good

In some cases I like being out of position against a complete maniac because he will always bet when checked to. However as a general rule I prefer them on my right.

If the Table is like looseplayer open open open unknown unknown I will sit directly to the left of the loose player and suck it up if a player i dont want on my left sits down there.

-DrG
Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 PM

What if you have a choice between a loose player on your right and a tight player on your left? Which is more important?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:47 PM

i want the tight players on my left and the loose players on my right. i am too busy making maistakes postflop to be concerened about the rest.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you have a choice between a loose player on your right and a tight player on your left? Which is more important?

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely loose player on my right, IMO the +EV of iso-raising and not being forced to "GOTTA BET THAT AQ HIGH I HOPE HE DOESNT CALL OH GOD WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO" out of position feeling against a loose monkey, especially when he knows to bet his bottom pair for value on the river outweighs the +EV of being able to steal the button a little more often.

-DrG
Old 03-21-2005, 05:02 PM

I don't care much where the tight players are. I want loose players on my right. I REALLY want loose aggros on my right.

Edit: Empty seat depends. I would rather snug up to a loose player on my right and leave a space between myself and a tight player so a live one can join in between us.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:12 PM

I think the value of the known tight player on your left is more desirable, since it gives you the "button" more often (when he folds), and good position gives you an edge over whatever opponents remain on your right.

I would prefer the "open seats" to my right. I may not be able to put a new player that sits to my right on a hand when he enters the pot, but if he is not in a pot I don't have to worry about it when I throw in my chips. This is also related to wanting the tight player to my left for positional purposes.

Both of these answers are heavily influenced by my dislike for a maniac on my left. I find the cons of the maniac on my left outweigh the advantage of letting him do the betting for me when I need it.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Is this really debatable? You want loose players on your right before you care about anything else. This matters less if they are bad post-flop (as in really easy to check-raise). But the better they play post-flop, the more you want them on your right IMO.

More debatable is what to do when you have a decent loose player on your left. I.e., how good would his post-flop skills have to be to make you want to leave? And assuming you stay, how do you alter your play?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 PM

my by far first choice is having a loose playing on my right. even if nothing else is working for you at the table, you can always sit back and pound at him when you get a hand.

in no limit i am most concerned with having the best players at the table on my right, regardless of style.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:48 PM

I worst thing I hate in 6max(especially after losing a couple of pots to them)is being CC by MR loose. Missing the flop and betting into them, missing again and UGGHHHHH betting again and them calling again and ........
I want the loose guy on my left and the TAG on the waiting list.