Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Some SNG Newbie questions

Howdy ya'll wondering about these SNG situations...All these take place in round 1 of a SNG 10/15 blinds.

1) Middle position 1 limper I have QQ raise 5x BB, everybody folds to big blind who goes all in 800, limper folds what do I do?

2) I have AA UTG and raise 5x BB 75 get 2 callers. Flop TT3. Should I check here? I bet the pot appx $250, someone raises $300 more, I have $425 left. Call, raise or fold?

3) I'm on button with AK os. Early player raises to 30, middle player reraises to 60, everybody else folds. My play?

Thanks for any replies.. Allen
Old 03-21-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Some SNG Newbie questions

I'm assuming this is low buy-in.

1) Call. A lot of the time you're shown a lower PP or AQ or lower. There's only 2 hands you absolutely don't want to see and about 20 you do that fall into people's all-in range.

2) Push the flop. After you bet the pot and were raised, you have to go all-in anyway.

3) fold.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:52 PM

All answers assume you're playing with solid players. Don't know what $ level you're playing.

Situation 1 is an easy fold. Hard to imagine you are ahead at that point. It is a huge overbet which is always a tempting call but you don't have a lot invested and it's way too early.

Situation 2 is a tough call. A10s, J10s, and 10-10 are the only hands I'd be worried about - and you have 2 of the Aces. Most players would not call an early raise with A10s or J10s. I put the player on an overpair, maybe Jacks, and I'd push all-in. Without a good read, you can't fold that hand. Too much invested. Too likely you've got the best hand.

Situation 3 is a call. A big enough raise could take the hand right there but the pot is small and the game is early. Not worth the risk. Noone will have you on AK and it could set you up for a nice pot. You can also lay it down a lot easier than if you raised.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 PM

My answer to #2 was stupid.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:31 PM

1. Assuming you are playing 5-20's, I call. I'm shown AJ or PP's j's or smaller enough to make it worthwhile.

2. Hate this flop. Here's the thing, if you flopped a 10 you aren't going to lead out at the pot, right? Everyone else assumes the same thing, so by leading out you set yourself up to get bluff raised. My line would be to check and then either call or raise if someone takes a stab at it. This looks a lot stronger, IMHO.

3. It's early, assuming you haven't lost a lot of chips on another hand, just call and see if you can flop a nice hand that you can get paid on.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that? Cause the huge reraise makes it likely someone has a T and I'm beat and its early and with $425 chips I should live to fight another day? I agree I think the push on the flop was prob the best move anyway.

FWIW these questions are from $22 SNGs on a Party skin. Thx!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that? Cause the huge reraise makes it likely someone has a T and I'm beat and its early and with $425 chips I should live to fight another day? I agree I think the push on the flop was prob the best move anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing the flop ensures that you will be called only when you are beat. In my opinion pushing is the worst play.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing the flop ensures that you will be called only when you are beat. In my opinion pushing is the worst play.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Just because you are going to be beat when you are called doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't push.

2) You are going to get called by worse hands about half of the time anyways in a 20+1 SnG.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:08 PM

1) I'd call. Only 2 hands have you beat. One hand AK is a coin flip. Any other hand you have dominated. I see fools pushing all in with medium PP often enough to make this a call.

2) You are pot committed. Call this. Again, I think you will be surprised at some of the hands you'll get shown. I would consider this a good flop for me. The chances of 2 opponents hitting this flop is low. You can check or bet out on this one. If you check, do it with the intention of check-raising all in.

3) I'd call if I thought the EP player wouldn't raise again. It would also depend on how many chips you have. I suppose one could argue folding, calling, or re-raising here. I'd call with position though.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. Pushing is the absolute worst play that you could make here. I hate these situations. Don't worry so much about figuring out if someone has a ten here. If you bust, you bust. The real problem with pushing is that it doesn't allow you to win anything if your hand is the best, but lets you lose it all if it's not, so the reward doesn't justify the risk. Check and hope somone makes a second-best two pair on the turn, or feels like semibluffing a flush draw or something. In any case I don't think it's possible to fold this given the chances a ten is out against you after your preflop raise.