Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Caught Stealing

I am in a small NLHE tournament nearing the end...
There are 2 tables 1 with 6 people, 1 with 7 people... Final 3 spots pay.

I have T17,000 in chips and there are T186,000 chips in play, so I am about average. Blinds are T1000, T2000 and I am the cut-off at the 6 person table.

It is folded to me and I raise to 6,000 with Kc7c. The SB was already mucking his cards the BB didn't look yet... the button had no tell that I noticed. He had layed down to my raises to this point though. The button cold called the T6,000 raise He had about T14,500 in total before cold calling the raise. Then BB goes all-in for T300 more. I call button calls,

Pot is T19,900:

Flop is Ad Jh 3c:
I would have bet had the BB not gone all-in, but it is pretty hard to bluff an all-in, so I check. The button checks.

Turn: Ad Jh 3c, 8c: This gives me a flush draw.
I check and the button goes all-in for T8,200, Now what...
I am getting 28,100:8,200 (3.4:1), but I have 9 outs to a flush... 37:9 (4.1:1). Also, the blinds are going up next hand to T2000 T4000 and I will be UTG with, T10,000 in chips if I fold. What would you do?

The button had QQ, and I actually had 3 more outs then I thought. Also, had the BB not gone all-in with QTo, I would have won the hand because I would have bet the flop, and the button would have folded, I think [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I folded, but I think I should have called. I would have missed anyway, but I ended up going all-in next hand with QhTh, and I was called by the BB who had AKo.

Thanks In Advance,
Old 10-08-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Caught Stealing

DJA,

You did a pretty good summary of the situation, but I think I would have bet the flop or the turn. You are far from the money, so you gain close to nothing by checking it through and busting the all-in player.

So you should do everything possible to win that pot, and betting is probably the way to go. Either on the flop, but especially on the turn.

The BB could have crap and you might even have the best hand. So your should try to get the button out. You are pretty much commited to the pot. After he check the flop, I move in, especially with the flush draw. It will be very hard for him to call you with a hand like 88.

The button's play, BTW, is awful at this stage of the tournament. He should have moved in without thinking.

Regards,
Old 10-08-2002, 01:02 PM

Had I known I was ahead of the all-in on the flop I would have bet... He really screwed up my play, but the board was too scary to bet, with an A on board and me looking like I had no outs. I would have also played the QQ a lot differently then the button did.

I also didn't think the BB had as bad a hand as he did... Why go all in against 2 opponents with a piece of sh%t? Apparently, he thought it was the right play though.

My read was that if I bet the flop I would have won. If I bet the turn I think he would have called me down and taken down the pot... but I had outs... and he would have been the one making the decision to call. Not me.

Thanks for your response,
Old 10-08-2002, 02:35 PM

I agree that the BB also made a weak play.

He has put up slightly less than a third of his stack so if the buttons does not call, he should probably call you. But then the button calls, so he pretty much has to fold. He will have 4500 left. If he folds his SB also, he still has 3500 left which could be enough to put some pressure when first in.