Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 AM

Default GA

Sometimes I look at how many hours I have put in at the poker table winning and losing a couple thousand in a sessino and think I have a gambling/poker complusion, and think I should stop. Some of the swings I have as I am sure alot of 2+2'ers have had makes any one else that I talk to sick to the stumach, a kid across the hall from me in colleges parents bring in about 800 dollars a month, I win or lose that in a few hours, this kind of makes me think about poker and life. Discuss
Old 03-20-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: GA

Old 03-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Yeah I know what you mean, I am beginning to think the same way. I get preoccupied with the money I am making too and think about it all the time during the day, even during classes, when I'm with friends, etc. My best friend in college lives off of like $500/month and I just find that weird now. And (the worst part) I've become completely unmotivated as far as schoolwork goes. I am going to play poker, not use my comp sci degree, so what the hell is the point of going to class/doing assignments/whatever. The only reason I'm finishing is to have a backup in case poker doesn't work out for whatever reason but as I keep winning I just see that as less and less likely of a thing to happen.

I'm not going to stop, hell no. How the hell else could I make X$/hour? I couldn't, there is no way. And if there were it would certainly take a hell of a lot more effort. In ten years I'll be able to make enough so that I can live off of interest for the rest of my life. Money = security = freedom and opportunities don't last forever. I won't live forever either, I would like to have some money to enjoy my life while I am still alive.

I don't see why you think you should stop? Please elaborate on that detail.

Just because you are obssessed or addicted to something doesn't make it unhealthy, and it doesn't make it detrimental to your overall wellbeing either. For example many people are addicted to various video games and play them for hours every day but they still lead fairly normal lives. Try to balance more social activities and such into your life, but I don't htink being obsessed with something (especially something very profitable financially) is really such a bad thing.

GA exists because some people can't help recklessly wasting their paychecks on games they can't win for whatever reason. Being addicted to poker and being a winner poker doesn't mean you have a problem, it just means you enjoy what you do. You're a two plus twoer, if you're like the majority of us (i think????) you win, you play within your bankroll, and you study the game diligently. This does not equate to SOCIETY's definition of a 'GAMBLER'. Society sees a 'gambler' as someone who will risk their family's food money on a roll of the dice, or someone who basically lives day to die on pure chance.

Most winning poker players are much closer to society's image of 'a successful businessman' than 'a gambler'.

My question is, what image do you have of yourself?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:45 PM

As a recovering drug addict and alcoholic (25 years clean and sober), I know a little about addictive personalities. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There is a simple, but often not so easy, way to determine if you might be addicted to something. The simple part is to answer 2 questions. The hard part is to completely honest with yourself when you answer them.

Question 1: Does the activity I'm involved with (drinking, using, gambling, shopping, whatever) adversely affect my life in some way?

If the answer to the above is "yes", then on to question 2:

Am I able, on my own, to modify that behavior so that it no longer adversely affects my life?

If the answers are 1: yes and 2: no, then you might want to look further into things.

Just a thought.

Dean
Old 03-20-2005, 08:05 PM

Default 20 Questions On GA site

Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling? Getting Stuck for money in a game miss a class, YES
Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy? NO
Did gambling affect your reputation? YES
Have you ever felt remorse after gambling? NO
Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties? NO
Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency? YES
After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses? YES
After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more? YES
Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone? NO
Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling? NO
Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling? NO
Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures? YES
Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family? NO
Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned? YES
Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble? NO
Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling? YES
Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? YES
Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?NO
Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling? NO
Have you ever considered self destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling? NO

MOST compulsive gamblers will answer yes to atleast 7 of these questions, I answered yes to 9 of them...Makes me think
Old 03-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 20 Questions On GA site

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling? YES
Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? YES

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should stop.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Man, most people on here answer yes to at least 10 of those. If you're addicted you'll know it because something feels wrong to you. Don't let some test tell you about yourself.

"Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy? NO"
"Have you ever felt remorse after gambling? NO"
"Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties? NO"

These are the most important questions and answers in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:22 PM

Dont be afraid of sucess, and stop judging yourself compared to other people. You shouldnt feel guilty for making butt loads of money
Old 03-20-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont be afraid of sucess, and stop judging yourself compared to other people. You shouldnt feel guilty for making butt loads of money

[/ QUOTE ]
Democrats want you to believe otherwise.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:26 PM

That seems to be an important one also, no?