Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 09:04 PM

Default all in every hand

i just played a tourney where a guy was going all-in every hand. i mean every hand, for at least 15 in a row before he busted me and most of the table. it was uncanny.... it almost made me paranoid. i was acting right after him, so i could stay out of the way. usually he would just take the blinds and an occasional limp. but when someone did have a hand to call with he still won. he broke KK with 95o by making a set of 5's. i called him with QQ, he showed AJo and hit his ace. the one time he did loose it was to a small stack that he had covered.

two thoughts... first, is it reasonable to be paranoid that something fishy was happeneing? it's rare that i feel that way, but tonight i did. nah... must of just been luck that would eventually run dry, right?

second, obviously this guy was taking aggression to a ridiculous extreme, but it was working. is this evidence that aggression is really the secret to winning? after watching for awhile i started to think that i would rather play more like the maniac than the rock.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: all in every hand

I was trying to bust out of a freeroll one time,
so I could get some sleep. Went all-in 12 hands in
a row, and about 35 out of 40 trying to bust out.

Didn't go bust till I had an AA.........
Old 03-20-2005, 05:26 AM

Could have been me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sometimes I get bored and play a free roll going all in only on bad hands. I've done so "well" once that I've gotten about 20,000 chips after a few hands on Party's.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could have been me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sometimes I get bored and play a free roll going all in only on bad hands. I've done so "well" once that I've gotten about 20,000 chips after a few hands on Party's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going all-in on every hand until you amass a chip lead is of course a perfectly legitimate freeroll strategy.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM

I usually go all in first hand of freerolls, if I win fine its worth playing the thing. If I don't I haven't wasted any time.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:46 PM

i sat in a $5 s&g where someone did this two years ago when i first started playing. since then, when i get bored or drunk i've been known to go back and "copycat" for kicks because i remember having much the same reaction as you...and i like being on the other end of it. fwiw, out of the 7 times i've gone with this strategy, i've absolutely run over two tables doing this...and gone out first the other five times over the last 6 months or so. not as bad as one might think...and some of the reactions have been priceless. there's probably an interesting experiment in there somewhere.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:30 PM

There are times in a tournament where going all-in a lot, or just playing hyper-aggressive (ie PFR 90% or more) can be a good strategy. If everyone else is playing extremely passive, why not? Right before the bubble is a good time. At the end of the day in a multi-day event is another. I remember reading that at the end of the second day (I think) of the WSOP this year, Julian Gardner had taken nearly every single T100 ante chip on the table by PFR every time.

Then there is James Souza (sp?) who did this at the final table in the 'Thunder' Keller episode, going all-in like seven times in a row to get the chip lead. It's dangerous, but at the right time, it can work.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 AM

here's a screenshot of a SnG on Pacific Poker I played a while back... mr "all in" was doing this 'strategy'

worked enough to bust me out with top 2 pair Kings and 10's, he drew out for his second straight in a row

Old 03-25-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then there is James Souza (sp?) who did this at the final table in the 'Thunder' Keller episode, going all-in like seven times in a row to get the chip lead. It's dangerous, but at the right time, it can work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see that in person or did you watch it on tv? There is a difference...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone else is playing extremely passive, why not? Right before the bubble is a good time. At the end of the day in a multi-day event is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the blinds go up is a good time to steal too. Maybe not all in, but at least push.