Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: To post or not to Post
Yeah, show me how you did it. 35 85.37%
No way. I don't wanna know. 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Curious

I was asked about this from an novice friend of mine, and have been pondering it... "Is there a level of hierarchy to poker players regarding the games they play?"

I guess I kind of feel that in general there is a level of condesending attitude, perhaps a subtle level of dominance struggle, between players in the following ways: Player ability (this one I can justify to a point), game type, limit vs. No limit, level of stakes involved, overall performance, size of the bankroll, even in regards to # of hands played... There really is no logical reason for people to embellish any of these things, but often I feel they do. I see these types of differences on and off of the felt, often in the forems; Furthermore, in a forem that is based on mutual learning and analysis, what psychological reasoning is behind these hierarchal levels? Is it a form of typical alpha fe/male dominance? Is there prestige to certain aspects of the game? What does everyone think?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Curious

I would never lie about my results just to impress
someone on this forum.

BTW - I made almost $17 million last year playing
$1-2 Triple Draw, 4 tabling.

Thanks, mosquito..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2005, 09:44 PM

someone once said that a poker player who says he's broke even has lost - everything else is relative to that.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:28 PM

Most of this forum has an unhealthy obsession with winrates. I honestly feel that many people posting great results are not telling 100% of the truth.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:10 AM

A police officer friend of mine once told me that if he asks someone that he has pulled over if they have had anything to drink that he basically multiplies the answer by three. So if the guy says he has had a couple than he has really had about 6 drinks. Along these same lines, divide what a poker player tells you by 3 and you will be closer to the truth (unless the truth is verifiable).
Old 03-20-2005, 03:00 PM

That's generally my feeling too... The discussion that originally started this conversation was the extent to which a person would go to hide their own embarrassing results... or even mediocre results, while being afraid of, or cohersed by social pressure to have only the best results. It drives me crazy when you see someone being belittled for 2-3bb/100, because while they are on this forem to get better at the game, they are still a winning player. That's better than most can say...
There has recently been a few threads in the forem between players harrassing each others "claims..." What are people's thoughts on that?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A police officer friend of mine once told me that if he asks someone that he has pulled over if they have had anything to drink that he basically multiplies the answer by three. So if the guy says he has had a couple than he has really had about 6 drinks. Along these same lines, divide what a poker player tells you by 3 and you will be closer to the truth (unless the truth is verifiable).

[/ QUOTE ]

You ripped that line off of a comedian. I've heard it before.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Bling.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:25 PM

(snicker...) yeah embellishment!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:43 PM

No, I'm pretty secure with my 4BB/100 at the 100/200. I'm still working on plugging some leaks though, so I should be able to bring that up.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:57 PM

I don't know when you heard it from some comedian, but this guy told me that back around 1990.