Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Default What I still don\'t get

I am fairly suprised I have yet to see someone mention anything about what happened at the final table of this last weeks' WPT.

Why is Daniel N. calling 500,000 on the river with king high on a paired board. He said outloud a couple hands that he had beat. Great, he thought of two hands at the river that he could have beat. He called off a fourth(? not sure) of his stack because he was curious. You would think a great player like him does not have to be so curious to give his opponent ten percent of the chips in play. He also called 100,000 during another pot out of pure curiosity. Sometimes the plays these guys make amaze me and nobody else seems to catch on. I see very little good coming in being curious as it gives you very little information on your opponent. Especially one that you know very well.

Another hand I thought was attrociously played was DN's 86 vs Williams 66. Both players played absolutely horrid. Williams made a good call on a king high flop. Daniel then procedes to give up the hand with his reaction to the call on the flop. He clearly gives up the hand on TV. I know it is much much harder to tell when you are down to the final two of a major tournament, but you are a pro, make a read. I dont see how these top pros give away their hand so easily. After the cards were turned on the river, Williams states that he knew he had Daniel beat on the turn. I hate when people say that, but don't act on their thoughts.

So, I still don't see how a pro can make these moves, it absolutely baffles me. Control your emotions...you do this for a living. Control your desire to be curious and splurge a quarter of your chips.

I'm not saying Daniel is bad(his results speak for themsleves), just that he could be much better with some self control.