Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 11:38 AM

Default strange tournament structure?

I play quite a bit of ring and sh limit live and online, but I just found out my wife who wants me to break the guys she works with signed me up for this strange no limit tournament for tonight.

I am sure it will be a lot of inexperienced guys, a dealer told me they are hoping for 75 players. The buy in is $50. The weird thing is that everyone starts with $50 in chips and then instead of blinds everyone antes $1.

I am hoping you 2+2er's can rally around a member and help me develop a statregy. No limit and tourney's just are not my strength, and then this ante thing throws a curve to how it should go. Any input is greatly appreciated.
thanx
bud
Old 03-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: strange tournament structure?

just remember not to fight for your ante too hard. inexperienced players will see it as money they have in the pot, so they should defend it.

i would also reccomend very large raises w/ premium hands (if say 8 per table, there is $8 in the pot to start, almost 1/5 of one man's stack, so i'd raise like $20 if i had JJ-AA). you have to make people w/ poor hands pay to play here.

you can play low PP's and suited connectors more, b/c the pot odds will be there for you.

that said, i would sit back and play only big PP's, AKs or o, KQs or o, to start. get a good idea of how others are playing, and you will be able to adapt to that.

i would laso be especially wary of draws here, as inexperienced players love them oh so much [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 01:10 PM

THANX. Now I am being told that ONLY the top 3 stacks will move on after the first hr. My guess is that they will not get off more than 20 hands in that time w/ rookie dealers. How about that for adding pressure. I am sure the other players will be pushing hard just b/c they are weak players. So, i can't imagine bullying them w/out a hand. What would you do besides hope you get cards?
thanx
bud
Old 03-18-2005, 01:19 PM

If they will let you limp, you need to limp with anything remotely reasonable, and then try and get your money in when you flop something. You need to gamble. Once you have what you deem to be enough chips to move on (probably just doubling up), you should probably revert to playing tightly until the end of the hour (still limp with pairs and try to flop a set if you can). And remember, if you get to the last few hands of the hour and you dont have enough chips, you need to basically start raising every hand. Getting all in with anything at least gives you a chance, whereas folding will not.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:28 AM

Default thanx guys

I played one hand to the river in the 1st hr, and that was enuff to build up my stack to third at the first table. Then moved on to the next table , moved all in with aces to double up. And caught two pair on the flop w J rag to build up enuff to sit back. Then i had a tuff time getting out of my defensive shell to finish off when it went shorthanded. These guys would go all in at any time w/ anything. Thanx again.
bud