Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Fun with jacks

OK 15/30 Party. I'm two-tabling for the first time in a while, for what it's worth.

I get JJ UTG and raise. A bad limper in middle position calls, button makes it 3 bets. My read on the button is that he doesn't play a lot of hands and seems relatively "decent". Small blind folds, BB calls 2 cold, limper calls.

Flop: Qd, 9c, 9h

Checked around to button who bets, BB folds, I check-raise, limper folds, button 3-bets, I call.

Turn: Jc

I bet.

Thoughts on all streets so far? What's my plan if the turn's a blank?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Fun with jacks

Check-raising is an interesting play but I'm not sure I like committing two more bets to a pot when there are a lot of ways for you to be behind. If button isn't playing many hands the only hand you can beat at this point which he would 3-bet is specifically AK (I doubt he would make this play with TT given that there's already a cold-caller). If you think he's tricky enough to raise a flop bet with AK you may be better with the line you chose but in general this is a situation where I prefer betting into the preflop 3-bettor and seeing what he and your other two opponents do.

Given the flop action you would probably need to check-fold the turn unimproved.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:25 AM

Good chance for the tri-fecta. Or at least 2. CR that turn. If he checks, I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. Come on, have some fun dude...

-DURKA Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur
Old 03-18-2005, 07:05 PM

I had a similar thought process to yours. The 3-bet on the flop had me worried.

I bet the turn figuring that I'd get to 3-bet, but surprisingly he just called.

I bet the river (K) and was called by TT's straight.

So, yeah, if the flop had come A- or K-high and/or if a J hadn't hit the turn, there's a good chance I'd have folded the best hand.

Do I just need to be more fearless/less respectful online and simply understand that my variance will go up significantly as a result? Playing live, I get some idea of where the other player's at, but online's a much different story (at least for me).